Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply Dipping

Question Supply Dipping

Well my boobs are being weird. Not making much milk it seems, and my LO isn't content to block nurse anymore. It started with my supply dipping when I "would be" having my period, and then it was low every other week.

Recently it's been low most weeks. Then I forgot my thyroid replacement medicine one day, and then I got stuck with a crappy pump last week for two days. But I'm taking fenugreek and normally it would be back. But it's not. I normally pump 1X a day and I get 3.5 oz per side. On bad days I pump 2.5. Now i barely can pump 3oz total. LO just turned 16 mos. I know my hormones are crazy and my thyroid dr is checking my prolactin levels. I am worried because I'm pretty invested to making it to two so I don't have to worry about my LOs fat intake since dairy is out.

Any ideas?
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Default Re: Supply Dipping

You can try taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle together...I think the combo works better than just the Fenugreek itself...that is what I had to take to build my supply up. I still take the Fenugreek. Mother's Milk tea (in the herbal section of most stores) contains both herbs in a lower amount.
    Last edited by @llli*azrael499; January 4th, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
    Jaime
    First time mommy to Lucy Madison, born 8/25/2010.

Default Re: Supply Dipping

Honestly I think it just happens when they are toddlers sometimes, any chance of pregnancy? I was getting a significant dip with AF and my sensitive boy was really freaking so I added some domperidone that part of my cycle. It's amazing the supply increase. My kid's in heaven! I normally would do what you are but my son is allergic to fenugreek. I decided to try it as I had some on hand.... I will admit I am a super-responder to Dom though. But if your problem is prolactin it will help that for sure...
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein