Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6-day old lost 15% body weight

Default 6-day old lost 15% body weight

hi, mamas. this thread is for my little cousin, who is a first-time mom to a dd who is 6 days old exactly as i type this thread. and also for me, because i'm worried that i gave bad advice to her and her dh.

i've been having extensive text convos and phone calls w/ my cousin and her husband since their baby was born, re: mama's milk wasn't coming in as soon as they'd hoped. i told them it takes 3-4 days for lots of women, but that some women take a couple of days longer, and that it's normal. they were both concerned that she was crying from hunger because she wasn't getting enough.

i reassured them that her body would create all the baby needs, that baby doesn't need a lot during the first few days, only colostrum.. and to just keep putting her to the boob as often as possible, every 2 hrs, every time she cries or fusses, and that the milk would be in full force before they know it. so yesterday, day 5 pp for them, they sent me a pic of milk on her lips, and then a few hrs later, a pic of her first "dirty" diaper that didn't look like meconium, which showed faint spots of light orange-looking stuff on it. i thought, "milk is finally coming in on day 5, first milk doodie, yay!".. my own dd's first couple of diapers looked like the one in the pic (here is the pic, btw): http://i41.tinypic.com/w9im2e.jpg

well, this morning, 6 days pp, they go to the doc. their dd has lost 15% of her body weight, and the doctor said she is not getting enough milk, and that they needs to supplement w/ formula, starting now.

i don't understand, b/c this all kind of goes against everything i've learned here. shouldn't her body be making enough, and shouldn't her milk be here day 6 pp? she had a vaginal birth. is it a latch issue?

i've seen a video of her latch, and it looks good. suckling/mouth looked good. i'd link it here too, but heh.. it's my cousin's boob. and cousin is not having any pain/discomfort/weird nipple stuff happening, and baby is staying latched for 30-35 min at a time for an average feeding. THAT info also led me to believe that nursing was going along fine, and that her milk was just taking a bit longer to come in. but now i'm wondering, is there maybe a tongue/latch issue happening? what could be happening here?

i just feel really badly, b/c from my end, things seemed to be fine! i feel like i gave them horrible advice.. yet at the same time, i feel like *something* isn't right here from the info i'm getting.. and i don't believe that their doc is one who cares to explore what breastfeeding issues may be happening, as he just told them to get formula to supplement. also, they do not offer LC house calls, only a hotline number to call. and we all know it's HARD to see/know exactly what is happening without being there in person.

sigh. any advice, mamas? (btw, i know i haven't been here in forever, i love you all, goodnight!)
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Default Re: 6-day old lost 15% body weight

15% weight loss from one scale to a different one? And from birth to now? Can she go see a lactation consultant somewhere else?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Have they been doing wet/dirty diaper counts? 15% does seem high for weight lose but did mom have any fluids during labor? does mom's breasts feel less full after nursing?
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

She could have a bit of retained placenta which is interfering with proper milk supply, besides all the above tidbits.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with all 3 PPs. Your advice was good, but this is why we go in to see the pediatrician so soon after birth- to pick up on just these sorts of issues. Because sometimes you can be doing everything right and something still derails. Does your cuz have access to a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC? I'd want that to be her next step.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thank you, ladies. i will def suggest that they look into hiring an lc to come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    Have they been doing wet/dirty diaper counts? 15% does seem high for weight lose but did mom have any fluids during labor? does mom's breasts feel less full after nursing?
    baby's output was very little, they said. on day 4 pp, they told me that she hadn't had many wets, and only 1 doo-doo (which the dh described as meconiumish) after their hospital discharge. so it sounded like her milk hadn't come in yet after day 4. but yesterday, day 5 pp, they sent a pic of milk on her lips, so.. i figured milk had gotten in, and when i saw that pic, i assumed it was baby's first milk doo-doo...but the doc said it was "concentrated pee".

i don't know what amount of fluids mom had during labor. i do know that she hasn't been feeling any physical changes in her breasts. the lc from the hotline number provided by their hospital told her last night that she didn't think her milk had come in yet, after 5.5 days pp. i do think they should look into hiring an outside lc, and will suggest that.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    15% weight loss from one scale to a different one? And from birth to now? Can she go see a lactation consultant somewhere else?
    i don't know about the scales.. i assume that because she was weight initially in the hospital, and then today in a dr's office, the scales were not the exact same scale.. dd weighs 15% less than what she weighed at birth... that's tghe gist of what they were told. we all know that a certain percent, like 7-9%, is normal.. so 15% sounds excessive. they feel like awful parents. i feel awful for telling them that i thought things seemed okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    She could have a bit of retained placenta which is interfering with proper milk supply, besides all the above tidbits.
    okay, thank you.. they should be able to consider every possible cause/outcome related to this, imo.

i'm beth, mama to:

-and-

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    with all 3 PPs. Your advice was good, but this is why we go in to see the pediatrician so soon after birth- to pick up on just these sorts of issues. Because sometimes you can be doing everything right and something still derails. Does your cuz have access to a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC? I'd want that to be her next step.
    i'm going to encourage them to seek one out. thank you.

oh, also going to encourage one of them to go ahead and register an acct here, so they can speak for themselves when it comes to the details.. they've got their hands full right now, so i'm trying to talk for them, heh. latest text from the husband was that baby didn't want to take the bottle of formula. i told them that happens a lot, after baby has only had 1 kind of nipple. sigh. i feel for them. it's not always easy, but their issues are ones i'm just not familiar w/ how to address.

i'm beth, mama to:

-and-

Have then look into an SNS if they have to supplement and how do they feel about milk sharing? There is a facebook group that puts donors and families together. After 6 days she should know if her milk is in. If she has to supplement until her supply comes in or they figure out whats going on, i would use an SNS with donor milk and keep on putting baby to breast. And pump as often as possible. Wishing them all the best!!
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; January 3rd, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Pump, pump, pump, all the time. After every feeding. Give the milk in a syringe to supplement first. If they do any formula, do syringe first, no bottle, and keep nursing! I had to supplement both of my kids due to latch issues, for about 6 weeks each.

Without this kind of experience and not being there, getting an LC is gonna be the best thing she can do. Shame on the doctor and hospital for not providing more help!
    Jess

Mom to Gwyneth, 03/03/09, BFed 18 mos.

Mom to Leo, 03/04/11, currently BFing.

thanks mamas!!

ok, they've got an lc coming out. yay! she has also been pumping away.

i'm beth, mama to:

-and-