Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small chin

Default Small chin

How much can a small chin affect breast feeding and is there a way to tell if it's causing the problem?

My 1 month old has always had trouble breastfeeding. He had tongue tie, but that was corrected at 10 days old. Two to three professionals have told me his suck is good. I've worked with two lactation consultants on latch and feel like I'm getting him on okay. I have large breasts and my nipples are on the large side, but I feel like I shouldn't be having these problems for so long. My supply is also okay, I'm pumping 2-4 ozs a session (every 2-4 hours).

But still I can't get him to exclusively breast feed. He gets a little from me, but not enough to satisfy him. He'll still drink most if not all of his bottle of expressed milk after nursing from me for 30-45 minutes. He's been weighed before and after nursing twice and either got nothing or a few mls.

Two lc's mentioned his small chin in passing, but focused on other things. Here is a profile shot of my baby:

side.jpg

Any opinions? Is there a way to tell if his chin is causing problems? Are there any positions you'd recommend that might help? I've tried cradle positions, football hold, nursing on my back, nursing reclining in a chair with him glued to my side, nothing g has worked very well, though.
    Last edited by @llli*voxxa; January 3rd, 2012 at 11:29 AM.

Default Re: Small chin

Could he have a submucosal cleft? Because, and I'm really not trying to scare you, he sure looks like a baby with Pierre Robin, and they have all kinds of trouble nursing. A cleft of some sort is fairly common with that condition.

Otherwise, I don't know what to say, other than call one of the LCs back and ask what she thinks.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have no idea. I read about Pierre Robin, could they have missed that in the hospital and at my pediatricians? I've thought about calling my pediatrician and asking about it, but I didn't want to seem like a crazy new mom. His dad also has a smaller chin, so I was thinking maybe it was just a hereditary feature.

It could be just how his face is, true But yes, they could have missed PR or any similar syndromes. We knew my baby would be born with a cleft something before his birth, and we STILL missed at his birth -- two midwives checked, and I checked. And I'm a DOCTOR. If I hadn't had a lot of experience breastfeeding, I guarantee it would have been weeks until we found out what was really going on.

Might be worth following up on, just for your peace of mind, particularly since something is not right with him. Unless you have no milk, he should be able to nurse. And if you are pumping 2-4 oz a session, you don't have a supply problem. It's on his end.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

A friend of mine had a baby with a recessed jaw, and yes, it definitely affected his ability to latch on and nurse effectively. I gave my friend's kid a bottle and he just couldn't hold on to the thing. I wish I had more for you than that, but I hope that it at least helped to know that you're not alone.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. I called my ped. and have an appointment tomorrow.

Here are a couple more photos I just took. He really holds it in when he is sleeping sometimes. Insight or opinions are appreciated.

photo.jpgphoto (1).jpg

Another question -

At 1 month he is still eating 2 oz every 2 hours, and sleeping for two 3-4 hour blocks at night, eating 2 oz at each feeding. He normally spits up a bit after 2oz and if we give him more than 2oz he spits up even more and gets the hiccups. Does this sound normal for his age? He should be around 8lbs now, he was 7 1/2 two weeks ago.

Totally normal for a breastfed baby. I know that somewhere out there is a month old baby who goes 3 hours between feedings and sleeps 5 hours at night, but I have yet to meet this mythical creature!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

But still I can't get him to exclusively breast feed. He gets a little from me, but not enough to satisfy him. He'll still drink most if not all of his bottle of expressed milk after nursing from me for 30-45 minutes. He's been weighed before and after nursing twice and either got nothing or a few mls.
    So besides the b4 and after weight checks, which I admit are not encouraging, but are also just a snapshot of that particular nursing session, why do you say he is not satisfied after nursing from you? sucking down a bottle and 'acting hungry' after a feed are not good indicators bb is not getting enough. Output and weight gain are the best indicators. Have you tried just letting him nurse again, even right after a feed? What about supplementing an ounce or so prior to a feed and letting baby "finish" on you? Have you considered an at the breast supplementer?

My oldest son had a very recessed chin, and I do think it was one of the many factors that caused a poor latch in the early weeks. I also have a weak chin, so I assumed it was genetics. But he now has a very nicely developed jawline. I later found out breastfeeding will help 'correct' this, as much as genetics will allow, as breastfeeding promotes normal jaw and oral cavity development. PS I was NOT breastfed so I did not get that benefit.

Well, in the 4 days after being released from hospital, he exclusively nursed. I thought he was getting enough but he wanted to nurse every 30 minutes and would nurse for an hour or more. I was up 24-7 for those days. In that time he lost about 6oz. Our lac consultant did a before and after weight and he got nothing. My lac consultant said he'd seemed full because he had just used up his calorie reserves and had no energy.

After the frenectomy we tried again, he did gain a little in the days following it, but we'd also given him a bottle one time so I'm not sure how that affected things. Our lactation consultant said she didn't think he'd gained enough to warrant exclusive breastfeeding (it was less than 0.5oz a day) so we went back to pumping milk.

After he nurses from me we think he's still hungry because he'll freak out and act very frantic for more food. He'll cry, root, bob his head, and suck on his hands. So I don't know. Sometimes it seems like he doesn't get anything and gets so frustrated at the breast. Sometimes I'm leaking milk everywhere trying to get him to latch on, and even once or twice he's opened his mouth and milk has gone everywhere, he just didn't swallow. Afterwards he acted hungry and still wanted the 2oz from the bottle. Unless he's extremely hungry or frustrated he will latch and suck, but never gets anything it seems.

I've noticed that sometimes (not all the time) when he nurses on just one side, afterwards when I pump I pump less from that side, is that a good indication that he's getting something?

We're renting a hospital scale tomorrow, hopefully it'll help us tell if he's getting anything. We do have an SNS, but I accidentally ordered a disposable one that says it can only be used for 24 hours. We haven't tried it yet, I'm trying it tonight.

Also, I've noticed a lot of the time my nipple comes out looking tapered, I read this was due to a shallow latch, but I feel like I'm shoving as much of my breast into his mouth as he'll let me. Ugh.