Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's the scoop on poop!?

Question What's the scoop on poop!?

My baby (second child) is 7 weeks old tomorrow. Last night he had a huge poop! I have never seen one so big. It filled his whole diaper! It had normal color and texture but it was excessively huge. He usually has smaller poops just before each feeding and a couple larger ones in the evening. He has yet to poop today, but has had plenty of toots.

He eats good (BF only), is content, and has wet diapers at every feed which is around every three hours.
    Maybe it was from what I ate? I did have quite a bit of fibrous (sp) food that day.

I am not too worried yet. But give me the scoop on poop!

Default Re: What's the scoop on poop!?

Ah, at about that age, my son went from pooping with each feed to one in three days. And, yes, they got HUGE.
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

Well, it depends on the baby. But... mine hates being in dirty diapers, so before we started EC + PL, he would hold the poop as long as he could... and when he couldn't hold it any longer, there would be a poop explosion in the diaper. We did find that cloth diapers tended to contain his poops better than the disposables we had to use in the hospital for the first few days. I find that my LO poops more consistently when I take a probiotic or drink kefir daily. He's pretty much pooped daily though.

Doesn't sound like anything out of the normal. My neighbor's EBF kid went DAYS without pooping on a regular basis.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

I remember those days--we referred to them (depending upon size) as either a "poovalanche" or "poonami". Once he got older and started eating solids the poops became smaller, more frequent and more interesting.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Ha! Those are great. We say "poopstravaganza", and some garner the distinguished title of "a poop of significance".
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

HAHAHA! Thanks ladies.
    He finally had another poonami (my fav) yesterday and a couple of large ones today. I guess this may be his new poop norm.

My first was regular the whole time he EBF then had constipation at age 2 until 4, hoping this guy doesn't have as much constipation at that age.