Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rice cereal at 4 months

Default Rice cereal at 4 months

Hi all,

DS doubled his birth weight @ 3 months. He is now 4 months old, grew 2 inches in the last month (!), plus gained another 2 pounds.
    He has always nursed every two hours or so, morning and night. My body seems to have adapted to the interrupted sleep and lack of sleep in general, so I'm not looking for a "solution" - I actually don't see the frequent feedings as a "problem". Especially when I see how much DS is growing - he's in the 97th percentile for height, 75th for weight.

Pediatrician wants me to start rice cereal. Says if I don't, he'll continue to wake every 2 hours, or even more frequently. (Is that a bad thing for baby? I'm not really concerned about myself.) And that there's a possibility he'll develop reflux issues since the the frequent / large intake of liquid may start to be too much for his stomach to handle. Supposedly the cereal will fill his tummy more effectively, if I understood correctly, and make him sleep a little more at night.
    Finally, pedi says that on breastmilk alone, DS won't be able to continue to gain weight in a proportion that matches the rate at which he's growing (height). Says ideally if he's in 97th for height, he should be close to that in weight also.

I told the pediatrician that DS still can't sit up, and he still thrusts his tongue, so I didn't think he was ready for rice cereal yet. Response: he doesn't even have to be sitting, I can have him in the car seat, bouncer, whatever works.

I don't really know why I'm questioning the rice cereal, I just don't feel ready for it, but maybe I'm being irrational.
    Any thoughts out there?

THANKS!

Default Re: Rice cereal at 4 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lolaminis View Post
    Hi all,

DS doubled his birth weight @ 3 months. He is now 4 months old, grew 2 inches in the last month (!), plus gained another 2 pounds.
    He has always nursed every two hours or so, morning and night. My body seems to have adapted to the interrupted sleep and lack of sleep in general, so I'm not looking for a "solution" - I actually don't see the frequent feedings as a "problem". Especially when I see how much DS is growing - he's in the 97th percentile for height, 75th for weight.

Pediatrician wants me to start rice cereal. Says if I don't, he'll continue to wake every 2 hours, or even more frequently. (Is that a bad thing for baby? I'm not really concerned about myself.) And that there's a possibility he'll develop reflux issues since the the frequent / large intake of liquid may start to be too much for his stomach to handle. Supposedly the cereal will fill his tummy more effectively, if I understood correctly, and make him sleep a little more at night.
    Finally, pedi says that on breastmilk alone, DS won't be able to continue to gain weight in a proportion that matches the rate at which he's growing (height). Says ideally if he's in 97th for height, he should be close to that in weight also.

I told the pediatrician that DS still can't sit up, and he still thrusts his tongue, so I didn't think he was ready for rice cereal yet. Response: he doesn't even have to be sitting, I can have him in the car seat, bouncer, whatever works.

I don't really know why I'm questioning the rice cereal, I just don't feel ready for it, but maybe I'm being irrational.
    Any thoughts out there?

THANKS!
    Your gut is correct. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

Laying your baby in a bouncer to eat is a choking hazard. My daughter never had any rice cereal. She nursed plenty at night. She doesn't have reflux. Sounds like horse pucky to me.

Your baby's weight will likely slow down anyway. They all do once they start crawling, etc. Otherwise, we would all weight 5 billion pounds. It makes NO sense. You want them to stay on a nice growth curve, but he may not keep packing on the pounds like that. In fact, if he did how the heck would he walk???

Here's something on rice cereal: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...rst-foods.html

Sorry mama. I think you need to think of a new doctor or be ready to understand his notions about infant feeding are outdated and he will probably tell you incorrect stuff.

ETA: Here's a growth chart for breastfed babies. http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gro...wthcharts.html

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Your feelings are 100% correct. Your Pedi is full of crap.

Read this: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...ing-solid-food

Your baby is healthy, happy and growing. Sleep has nothing to do with it and shouldn't enter the conversation. Don't fix it if it ain't broken. Just smile and nod. Then when you go to your 6 month check up and he's still healthy, happy and growing, you'll know that you made the right choice.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Your feelings are 100% correct. Your Pedi is full of crap.

Read this: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...ing-solid-food

Your baby is healthy, happy and growing. Sleep has nothing to do with it and shouldn't enter the conversation. Don't fix it if it ain't broken. Just smile and nod. Then when you go to your 6 month check up and he's still healthy, happy and growing, you'll know that you made the right choice.
    And don't be surprised when the doc starts telling you the baby needs the cereal for iron. Just wait! You can laugh in your head when it happens, because it will.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I totally agree with everyone else.

I just wanted to address this:

My son's weight and height proceeded perfectly along his growth curves until he started consuming significant amounts of solid foods (which wasn't until about ten months), at which time his weight gain slowed significantly.

As long as you nurse on demand, then your baby's weight gain should be fine.

Naughty pediatrician! You're not supposed to make things up just so that people will do what you want!

Solids don't make babies sleep. That's a myth.

Night-waking is normal and does nor have any negative developmental consequences for the baby, though it can be inconvenient for mom.

There's no reason to think that every baby must have a weight percentile that matches his height percentile. Some babies are skinny for their height, some are fat for their height, some are proportional- yours falls somewhere between proportional and skinny for his height. It's all normal, and it's not a bad thing in the long run to be tall and thin! Just wait: in a couple of years your pediatrician will be congratulating you on saving your child from the epidemic of childhood obesity.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sorry, this is just silly.
    Continue to trust your instincts mama!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Christine: very helpful links - thank you. Loved the mental image of us all weighing 5 billion pounds.

Amysmom: as far as if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I think you're right. Makes me wonder if pedi's suggestion to automatically give Tylenol after shots, without waiting for side effects / discomfort to occur, was also lousy advice.

Mommal: I had the same thought about there being fatter babies, skinnier babies. Doesn't make sense to assume everyone's going to be competely proportionate.

Momtodom: Yes, instincts sometimes are best!

So it's not a bad idea to question pediatrician's advice and do a little research before deciding whether to heed or not.

I've just been trying to figure out why some pediatricians do not fully support breastfeeding, or why they push formula from the get-go, etc.

Yup - there's actually a line of thought now that giving tylenol just before / after shots can diminish their efficacy. That the resulting fever is a part of the body's response to form immunity. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33331643...ccine-effects/

And MommaL is right (as usual). DD1 is in the 95th for both weight and height. However DD2 is in the 75th for height and the 55th for weight. Both are healthy as little horses and our doctor says are doing GREAT! The only time "proportional" came into the conversation was with DD1 because she's at the top of the range for both. More to say that her weight is fine because she's also so tall, so proportional and not over weight.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I agree! I HIGHLY recommend looking into Baby Led Solids. www.rapleyweaning.com You wait until the baby is ready, there's no rice cereal, baby learns to eat by self feeding from the start, and there's NO FUSS! No pureeing your own baby food OR spending money on jars. I did it, and my son eats everything. He is like a goat.

That is interesting that your ped said the percentiles need to match. My son was 100% height and like 55% weight at his 4 month and the nurse said that his BMI was perfect. Babies are different sizes!

Keep following your gut, mama! And welcome!