Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When do I have to start solids?

Default When do I have to start solids?

I know most peds recommend starting solids between four and six months but do I have to? Can I wait longer?

Default Re: When do I have to start solids?

No rush mama Starting solids at 4 months is outdated. Current recommendations are that your baby should be 6 months (at least) and showing all of the developmental signs

This is a great page that talks about solid readiness: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

Taken from that site:
    Most babies are developmentally ready for solids somewhere between 6 and 8 months.

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:

Baby can sit up well without support.
    Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Good advice from the PP. I'd just add that regardless of when you start solids, you want to start with small quantities. Tastes, not meals! A lot of people think that starting solids means that baby should immediately be eating several meals of solid food a day, and quantities measured in entire jars or bowls of food. But really you want to start by offering just a teaspoonful or a dab of solid food for baby to play with, taste, lick, squish... When you think about offering just tastes of solids, it's a less threatening, overwhelming idea than having to shovel in an entire jar of puree.

Also, if you are thinking of waiting more than 6 months to start solids, you may want to make sure your LO gets tested for anemia around that time. Breastfed babies generally get plenty of iron from mom, but they don't get the overabundance of iron provided by formula. Occasionally a breastfed baby will turn up anemic, often when the mom is anemic herself or when the baby was a bit early. So docs often start pushing solids and formula around 6 months, on the supposition that all breastfed babies are at risk of anemia- but the iron test can give you confidence in your choices about when to introduce solids, and how much to use.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You can also check out wholesomebabyfood.com in addition to kellymom.com
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold