Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems from the start

Thumbs down Problems from the start

I've desperately wanted to breastfeed ever since i knew about the great advantages of it. When I had my baby ( 3 weeks ago) We started right away, and kept at it all the time I was in the hospital . we didnt use pacifiers or bottles with formula. By the third night my nipples were so completely sore, cracked, bruised..it was obvious they had gone through distress. I couldn't continue. Since then we've bought a breast pump , and i've been bottle breastfeeding her. I pump every 3 or 4 hours, and save enough milk supply for her to only drink breast milk. I would like to go back to breastfeeding , except she does have a mild case of thrush, and my nipples havent completely cleared up yet. I have a few questions regarding my situation...first, am I pumping enough to keep my milk supply up> or will it start to diminish, since i'm pumping every 3-4 ..sometimes even 5 hours...second, she's on medication for her thrush, should i wait till its completely cleared up before i start again? my nipples havent cleared up yet...is it possible that i have a yeast infection from the thrush that cant be cleared up by the lanolin? can i use monistat to clear it up?i would appreciate any comments or advice. thanks so much.

Default Re: Problems from the start

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy Michelle View Post
    When I had my baby ( 3 weeks ago)
    Welcome and congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy Michelle
    By the third night my nipples were so completely sore, cracked, bruised..it was obvious they had gone through distress. I couldn't continue.
    Ouch! Have you contacted your local LLL Leader or IBCLC?

Since then we've bought a breast pump , and i've been bottle breastfeeding her. I pump every 3 or 4 hours, and save enough milk supply for her to only drink breast milk.
    It's great that you're able to express enough to meet your baby's needs!

I have a few questions regarding my situation...first, am I pumping enough to keep my milk supply up> or will it start to diminish, since i'm pumping every 3-4 ..sometimes even 5 hours...
    How many total times are you pumping per day? Many mothers find that eight times per day often gives the best results.

second, she's on medication for her thrush, should i wait till its completely cleared up before i start again?
    The sooner you get baby back to the breast, the easier it will be. However, this might be very painful if your nipples are still cracked and chapped. I would suggest trying to clear up her thrush a day or two more, work on clearing up your nipples, and in the meanwhile find some local help for the latch/thrush issues.

my nipples havent cleared up yet...is it possible that i have a yeast infection from the thrush that cant be cleared up by the lanolin?
    VERY possible. If you feel you have thrush, lanolin is not a very good option. In fact, many mothers find that helps feed thrush. Here is more info on thrush:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html (don't forget to click on the article Yeast and the Breastfeeding Family)

can i use monistat to clear it up?
    According to The Breastfeeding Answer Book Third revised edition pg 482, yes. Monistat is listed under treatment options for mother. Here's a quote:

Miconazole--over-the-counter treatment. US brand names Mycatin, Monistat-Derm cream or lotion (2%). To use: Appy to nipples/areolae two to four times daily for seven days.
    HTH!