Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wiggly/Fidgety Baby

Default Wiggly/Fidgety Baby

Lately my LO (11 weeks) has been very wiggly and fidgety at the breast. He will start out good, very relaxed, then after about 5-7 min he will start moving around. I thought maybe he had to burp so I would pull him off and burp him. Sometimes he would, sometimes he wouldn't. He pulls at my nipple and it gets very irritated and uncomfortable. I have tried to nurse him in a quiet room, even in the dark, but he still is very wiggly. I used to bottle-feed expressed milk a couple times a day, but the last few days I stopped and have been exclusively BFing him. How can I get him to relax?

Also, I am going to be returning to work tomorrow, so he will be getting expressed milk via bottle when I am gone, but once I get home I want to be able to nurse him. I feel like he will not want me when I get home, because he will get used to the bottle. How can I keep him wanting me?

Default Re: Wiggly/Fidgety Baby

My son who is the same age has started to do this too. Sometimes I think it's his way of saying "this is awesome, but I refuse to let it put me to sleep". He is relaxed for feeding before naps. For me the main concern is trying to keep him from ripping off my nipples .

I wouldn't worry about your baby not wanting you once you get home from work. You're "the mom". You are perfect. Just try to make sure that your caregiver follows the recommendations for bottle-feeding a breastfed baby (on kelly mom). Especially since you were able to stay home so long, you should be fine! Good luck at work. Tomorrow is my first day back too!
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

Switch feed when that happens...try the other side. Sometimes they start wiggling around when the flow changes.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My 10 week old was/is doing the same. I realized the nursing got his intestines moving and he was just trying to pass gas or poo. When he was done the wiggling stopped. We resumed feeding and he was fine.

Joe kicked nonstop in the womb, and when he came out, he just kept it up. He still kicks and wiggles nonstop. He's hard to sleep with! So also, I think part of it is bodily exploration ... and personality. Just keep up what you're doing, try new things, and remember, some wiggly craziness is normal.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.