Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alright ladies, it's time to go back

Default Alright ladies, it's time to go back

Alright, I've been on maternity leave since oct 9th and now I've got to suck it and go back to the real world. Now the kicker is that I actually quit my job while on leave and will be starting a new one tomorrow. My new boss said that it was the first time that he'd ever had "a door" requested in new hire negotiations.

So the pumping bag is packed, I've got my mini fridge ready to go and now I'm just enjoying my last little bit of time.

I'm nervous about 2 things:
    1. My son eats like every hour and my daughter is pretty high needs. I don't know how DS is going to adapt to bottles (though he did take one a month ago) and I don't know how the nanny is going to handle them both, particularly naps. DS is going to take the bottle (he's and eater) but he'll just have to space things out more and I don't know how he'll react.
    2. It's a new job. Sorry, could you take a 30 minute break in explaining this new thing to me so can go pump? I swear, I'm a serious employee, I just have this one issue. And I have to leave promptly at 5 every day. And I don't want to work much at home for a while. Or travel. I mean, they did know this going in, but still, it's tough.

Guess I'm just trying to get that out there and see if anyone has any thought or advice. Or at least well wishes!
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

Default Re: Alright ladies, it's time to go back

You could ask that your main lunch be split into two smaller breaks so you can get pumping in. I did that because my coworkers thought I was getting "extra" breaks that they didnt get. When I told them that I just split my lunch into two they were more accepting and not as gossipy about it. During your training just state from the beginning the times you need to go pump so when the time comes it doesnt feel awkward to be like "okay gotta go! be right back!"
    July 27 2011

You can do it! I am still pumping for my 14 month old (though down to once or twice a day). My advice to you...block your times on your calendar and make pumping your first priority! I told my boss that being able to breastfeed was very important to me and I appreciated her support (and I have even praised her in front of others for making this such a family friendly place to work). I NEVER missed a session and would reschedule other things as need be to be able to pump. And I got to the point where I could retrieve the key to the mother's room, pump, and be back to my desk in under 20 minutes. I bought triple the equipment (horns, bottles) and just placed in a plastic grocery bag to wash when I got home. This saved a bunch of time. Also, I bought one of the hands-free bra thingies so that I could go through reports, etc. during my pump time (once you get in the swing!). Hmmm...maybe carry a portfolio with you to the mother's room to look like you are doing lots of work even on mommy time even if you are really playing on your phone (just kidding!).

Anway, you can do it! Don't be apologetic about it and don't be made to feel guilty. Others will follow your lead!

As for the bottle, that was a nightmare with my LO. She finally started taking a bottle after about three weeks of being with my mom (and me running home at lunch to feed her!). Though she did eventually adjust and never really became a bottle fan (or a fan of solids, but that is another story altogether!). I am sure your nanny will get a routine going and all will be fine. I would let the nanny worry about the nap situation and figuring out something that works. I hear you on the high-needs - my babysitter is still holding my 14 month during nap time so she will sleep! Uh.

Good luck! I know it is a stressful time. It will all work out! Take it one day at a time...

The nanny will be fine. Kids are often more compliant for a caretaker.

The rest... Just be up front. Remind them that you guys talked about this before your hire. Be up front with your coworkers.

Don't worry about washing stuff. Stick it in a cooler and go back to work.

Keep,extra bags in your desk. Or your car. I forgot bags and caps Saturdsy. Fortunately, we had some food grade ziplocks in the lab I could use.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Luckily I'll have an office, so once I get it stocked I should be ok with not forgetting things. Even though I pumped forever with DD it's amazing how out of touch I feel about it.

I do feel better knowing I have 100 oz stash in the freezer!

He's asleep on my chest now. So cute!
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    Have milk, will fly!

Sounds like you have a great start! I second never being apologetic. Just matter-of-fact. Block time out on your calendar if it works for you and make sure appropriate people know when your door is closed, you are pumping.

It will all work out. Congrats on the new job!!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Just got the update from home. Baby is screaming and won't take a bottle :,(. He's only had an ounce since I left at 8:15.
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    for 21 months!
    Have milk, will fly!

Maybe try a cup or syringe? Are you close enough to home that you could go home at lunch to nurse? Try not to stress. Last weekend my DD was refusing to eat pumped milk (probably excess lipase) and I was trying not to freak out... had to remember that she won't starve in a day and won't get dehydrated that fast either.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Ok yesterday he did eventually calm down and took food in the afternoon. I think he ultimately got 9 oz in the 10 hours I was gone, which isn't bad considering. Today he is doing much better though last night was not a great sleep night for mommy!

I took home 14 oz yesterday from pumping which was nice, though I don't think that I'll get that much today (stress dip).

Hard to establish pumping times, but everyone knows (the guy outside my office even stopped someone from barging in so he's got my back!)

One day at a time right? And pumping isn't forever.
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    for 21 months!
    Have milk, will fly!

Sorry about yesterday. Is he eating more today?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months