Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am at my wits end!

Default Re: I am at my wits end!

I'm certainly no expert here, but is it possible that she's started teething? My son does the exact same thing when he's in pain (and he is a lot, btw, other medical issues going on.) During the day he's distracted and tends to ignore the pain, but at night he focuses on it. A little pain killer lets him sleep. He also started teething at 4 months, go figure.

Four months is notorious for all kinds of nursing issues. Distraction, unexplained fussiness, fighting sleep, etc etc. Babies this age are REALLY waking up to the world. If you were just discovering the wider world for the first time in your life, would YOU want to sleep?

If bb will not nurse to sleep due to forceful letdown, it may be time to really work on reducing forceful letdown. I think Kellymom has the best ideas for this.

I agree there is no reason to "put" bb to sleep at this age. If you are doing something stationary like watching TV or reading a book, just hold bb until bb falls asleep, or put bb in a sling as you do things around the house. If one sling is not working try another, move around in it when getting bb used to it, many bbs fight these for a while only to grow to love being 'worn.'

Alternatively Some familes start long drawn out bedtime routine at this age. At least an hour before 'bedtime" turn off all electronics, turn lights down, warm soothing bath if bb likes those, sing to bb or read or tell a story, in a calm, quiet voice.

for us, the nightime routine worked well for number 1 but with number 2 I had no patience for it. He watched lots of late night TV with me. I just kept gore to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Alternatively Some familes start long drawn out bedtime routine at this age. At least an hour before 'bedtime" turn off all electronics, turn lights down, warm soothing bath if bb likes those, sing to bb or read or tell a story, in a calm, quiet voice.
    We do the nighttime routine. She eats dinner, then we play for a half hour or so, then a nice long bath (as long as I can do; it really relaxes her), then as I dress her for bed I gradually change the environment by dimming lights and putting away toys, then finally a nursing session always in the same spot. It is quite amazing what the routine will do--even when, for some reason, I have to move the routine earlier or later in the evening, she still falls asleep at the end. She's conditioned!

What is interesting is that we are very unstructured otherwise--DH and I never kept a strict schedule or routine for ourselves, let alone for her. She doesn't have a set schedule for daytime feeds, naps, or even wake-up time in the morning. But the evening routine still works.

I'd give it a try... and also the long warm bath...
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

2 ideas - when babywearing, if baby is fussy, take LO outside in carrier for a little bit (always calmed mine down). 2nd -- we just got a lambskin (lamby.com) -- and it works like MAGIC. My LO is notorious for not settling down -- but I laid him on this, and he calmed down, passed out. And has been sleeping a ton better at night with it underneath him too. Apparently it's a sleep aid!
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

my first son needed to cry for 5 minutes to fall asleep for every sleep session for aobut 6 months. (from around 6 months to 1 year) 5 minutes of crying and then to sleep. ohhh and i swaddled both of my babies very tightly for about their first 6 months. i know you don't want to cio but have you tried letting your lo cry at all?
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

I haven't tried leaving her alone to cry. But she cries everytime I try to get her to sleep. She won't just fall asleep while sitting with me or anything. I always have to get her to sleep. I tried swaddling and she freaked out completely.