Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latches for only a few seconds.

Exclamation Latches for only a few seconds.

My daughter is about 3 and a half months. It has been about the past week or two that in the afternoon/evening, she latches on for a few seconds, sucks and swallows then pulls off. I thought that maybe she just was not that hungry but would still cry so I gave her some previously pumped milk. She downed that very quickly like she was hungry. I also am now unable to pump very much. I can usually get about 2 oz after the first morning feeding, but then throughout the day, I am lucky if I get another ounce. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get her to latch and actually eat without pulling away. I would pump if I could and just give that to her if it was a problem with milk flow too slow, but I cannot pump enough and do not have time to pump all the time throughout the day and nurse constantly because I have a 2 and a half year old also. Any help would be great.

Default Re: Latches for only a few seconds.

Welcome!

There are many reasons why babies act fussy and pull off the breast. Teething, ear infections, preference for a bottle, preference for a faster flow of milk, preference for a slower flow of milk... The first thing that would be helpful to know is diaper output. How many wet and poopy diapers does your baby produce in a day? If output is good, you can be confident that input is good, too!

The second thing that would be helpful to know is about the pumping. Why are you pumping- are you working, and pumoing every day, or are you just pumping occasionally for a bottle for a sitter? Pump output can vary a lot. Often moms freak out at around this point when pump output decreases, but it's usually nothing to worry about. In the early days, most moms have some degree of oversupply, and can pump multiple oz with ease. But as time goes on, milk supply tends to adjust to meet demand very precisely, at which point pump output generally decreases.

Just keep nursing a pnd watch your baby's diapers! As long as they are okay, you probably don't need to bother with pumps and bottles. And if there is a problem, we'll help you toubleshoot it. Okay?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Output is good, that is for sure. I guess it more of me getting frustrated with the fact that she is pulling away. She latches, nurses for a bit then bites down and tugs while pulling away. After so many times, it becomes painful. The past few days, after she was pulled away so many times, I have gotten her to latch on, but it still frustrates me when she is pulling away and tugging on my nipple.

I was pumping just so that I have a small supply so that I am able to leave her with a sitter or at home with my husband. I think about getting up in the middle of the night and pumping for a night or two, but there is never any guarntee that she will sleep through it. She usually does not go to sleep until 2am then some nights she sleeps until between 7 and 9, then other nights like last night, she was up every 2.5 hours. Thank you for your input!

Could you have a fast letdown?

Could she be teething?

Those are two other reasons sometimes a baby will clamp down and tug.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I don't believe that I have a fast let down. Her first feeding in the morning, when I am the most full, she does fine with for the most part. Could it be milk supply? Also, I guess she could be teething. I have noticed in the past two weeks that she was been chewing on her hands, but that could also be just her chewing on her hands, I am not sure. Now, just today, I have been able to get her to nurse on one side after pulling off only a few times, but she will keep pulling off on the opposite side!
    AdriAnn born 6/24/09
    Kayleigh born 9/15/11 with its struggles, but worth it all!