Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleeping through the night?

Default sleeping through the night?

My lo is 4 months old and was sleeping 5-6 hrs in a row most nights. He has recently slept for 7 hours a few times and I'm a little worried about it. I know I should probably be excited about the extra rest but I'm worried about him getting enough to eat and worried about my supply. I actually had to wake him up after sleeping 7 hours early this morning. He is only in the 15th percentile for weight and I've never felt like I have a huge supply. Should I be waking him more often?
    My sweet little Dylan was born 8/24/11.

Default Re: sleeping through the night?

does he dreamfeed? I sometimes feed my baby without waking her up in the middle of the night. I'd rather do that than pump.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

How close is baby to you at night? A baby in close proximity to mom may wake to nurse on his own more often. Also agree with pp about nursing baby when he is more or less asleep.

If suppy and weight gain were not a concern, I would not worry about it, but since it is, you may want to watch this. Another idea is to nurse more frequently during the day to counteract the long night break, which may be temporary anyway.

Why do are you concerend about supply? A baby being in the 15th % is not a reason for concern. SOME babies have to be at 15% , some babies have to be at every %'s that is how %'s work. Has baby actually fallen off his curve or has he gained steadily?

He sleeps in a bassinet right next to our bed. He has been gaining weight pretty steadily. In fact, he was in the 5th percentile at his 2 month check-up and is now in the 15th. He also went from being in the 50th percentile for height to the 75th. I've just always been concerned about supply because we had kind of a rough time getting started (he had an 11% weight loss when he was born because I couldn't get him to latch at first) and he's always been on the small side. Does this sound like I should just let him sleep? I haven't tried dream feeding him. He still sleeps swaddled so I think he would wake up anyways by the time I unswaddle him to nurse.

Also, he eats frequently during the day (every 1.5 hours or so) so he ends up still nursing 11-12 times in 24 hours.

Sounds normal to me. You could try nursing him still swaddled. Otherwise, I'd let him sleep.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!