Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Silent Reflux

Default Silent Reflux

I think dd has silent reflux. She never spits up, but I hear liquid coming up in her throat all the time. She gurgles and then gags followed by coughing. She also has a hard time burping and when she does it is very wet sounding. She screams out in pain a lot of the time too, and cries when she is laid flat. She also has hiccups many times a day that sound wet too. Poor thing is exhausted she has only been napping about 30 minutes before waking up crying in pain and only goes about an hour at night.

Does this sound like silent reflux? Or something else? Or maybe even just normal?

For those who had silent reflux babies how is it diagnosed? Would gripe water help her?

Poor thing is just sitting up right in my arms crying and grunting in pain. Oh and she also tenses her body when she is crying stiffens her legs straight out and clenches her little fists.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Default Re: Silent Reflux

My ds had silent reflux. It's actually considerably worse than regular reflux where they spit out the sour milk because the acid is burning their esophagus on the way up AND on the way down

My son was diagnosed at the doctors office. He was prescribed zantac to help.

Other things you can do keep her in an upright position after nursing for at least 20 minutes and incline her sleep area so she's not flat on her back.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Agree with PP. My DD had issues for about a month. Wet voice, didn't like to be lying flat. Zantac worked wonders and we took her off of it as soon as we could.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Her dr put her on Zantac. He saw her right after she ate and agreed she exhibited signs of reflux. So how long did the Zantac take to start working? She seems the same but it has only been 20 hours
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Her dr put her on Zantac. He saw her right after she ate and agreed she exhibited signs of reflux. So how long did the Zantac take to start working? She seems the same but it has only been 20 hours
    I'm afraid I do not know the answer to that, although I have GERD myself and it did not take long for the meds to start to work. No more than a couple days. But it could be completely different for bb.

I found with my refluxy kids they really responded well to being held upright after feeding, for about 30 minutes at least. Really I just got so I held them more or less "upright" most of the time, when we were up they would sleep on my or hubbies chest with head above feet, even on meds they hated being laid flat. Also they both always spat out the zantac (and after I tasted it I understood why) and so we used a prevacid suspension instead. (way more expensive, unfortunately.) However, I found holding baby in the upright position and nursing frequently so baby had lots of little feeds rather than spaced out bigger ones helped alot, about as much or more than the meds. I never had success with raising the crib end either. BB just slid down lol.