Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do? Scared she'll wean.

Default What to do? Scared she'll wean.

Ok so my in laws want to take us to Hawaii (!!!!!) in August when DD2 is one year but they want to take us without the kids. I would love to go but I am so scared if I left DD2 that she would wean while I was away. No matter what I would pump to keep up my supply but I really really really don't want her to wean that soon! Are there ways I could get her to get her nursing again if she doesn't show interest? I really dont' want to miss this opportunity but I don't want her to wean either. I know I have some time to think about it but I thought I'd ask for advice in the meantime. TIA!

Default Re: What to do? Scared she'll wean.

How long is the trip?
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Wow, that's weird. Most grandparents would kill to have their grandkids along for the trip. I mean, it's a generous offer... Sort of. Maybe they just don't want to pay for the kids, in which case would it be possible for you to pay the kids' way?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Wow, that's weird. Most grandparents would kill to have their grandkids along for the trip. I mean, it's a generous offer... Sort of. Maybe they just don't want to pay for the kids, in which case would it be possible for you to pay the kids' way?
    i was thinking the same. OP, do you have a preference? if you could, would you take your children with you?
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

As awesome as it would be to go to Hawaii, I don't think I could leave a baby that young behind. I'd be worried/ missing her the whole time. It was bad enough leaving my one year old to have a baby.....
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

The trip is five days. They would love to bring the girls they just know we want to be able to scuba dive and stuff like that that we can't easily do with the girls.

Hard to pass up a free trip! If you want to go without bb, that is one thing. But if you don't, will you have much fun? Besides missing baby, you will have to hole yourself up in the hotel to pump, while presumably you can nurse anywhere. Also are bbs still half price on plane if not buying a separate seat for them?

Weaning? Its a risk, there is no doubt. May happen, may not. If it does, it would not be true weaning imo but more like a nursing strike so you can try all the same ideas you would for a nursing strike to get her back to the breast and I would say it is very possible that she would nurse again, since that is young to naturally wean. BUT there are certainly no guarrantees, and much would depend on what else is happening around then nursing wise & development-wise that you have no idea about now.

I was born in a less enlightened age when mothers were encouraged to take trips away from baby so they (the moms) would not be "too attached." (No kidding.) So my dad took my mom to Italy for a few weeks when I was 6 months old, leaving me and my 3 older sibs with a babysitter. My mom later told me she was miserable the whole time and could not stop thinking about me. I can only imagine how I felt. BTW, I was NOT breastfed so that was not even a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    I was born in a less enlightened age when mothers were encouraged to take trips away from baby so they (the moms) would not be "too attached." (No kidding.) So my dad took my mom to Italy for a few weeks when I was 6 months old, leaving me and my 3 older sibs with a babysitter. My mom later told me she was miserable the whole time and could not stop thinking about me. I can only imagine how I felt. BTW, I was NOT breastfed so that was not even a consideration.
    that is so sad!...
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

wouldn't having the grandparents there for the kids make it easier for you all to scuba dive? that way they could watch the kids while you did that. i think if you're uncomfortable about it, just tell her so. i feel like today we are very encouraged to leave our babies to do whatever and made to feel weird if we don't jump at the chance or feel relieved instantly.
    Meg that story is sad My mom did the same thing with me though when they took a trip to Mexico. She said she was sad the whole time and she made recordings for me to listen to while she was gone. Of course I was ff too so that wasn't an issue.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Honestly, the mere thought of going on a vacation and leaving my daughter behind makes me want to cry and vomit. She's almost 2. I'd be terrified of leaving her and worried the whole time. I hated just leaving her for 8 hours a day when I worked full time. It made me want to die everyday.

I would either not go if I can't take them or take them and find child care on the island using a site like Care.com or many hotels offer child care services. Better yet, my mom would love to watch the baby while we went diving then she could go do her thing. To be honest, it seems like an odd situation.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!