Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: dairy causing baby's eczema?

Default dairy causing baby's eczema?

my sister in law told me that the dairy i eat maybe causing my son's eczema. i just eat a small amount of cheese and chocolate. is there any validity in this? and if so what can i eat? almost all foods are made with some sort of dairy product.
    mommy of one at home and at work

Default Re: dairy causing baby's eczema?

Dairy caused my sons eczema. I stopped dairy and it went away. He grew out of it when he was about 2.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

My son has eczema and it's not caused by dairy. It's really hard to say - eczema has many causes, and environmental allergies can be a factor as much as food allergies. Does your child have any other signs of food allergy? Blood in the stools? I recommend you look through the allergies section of this forum, to see whether your child shares any other issues with babies who are allergic to dairy.

Of course, if cutting out that dairy wouldn't be a hardship, you could try that. But I probably wouldn't jump to that conclusion without several indicators of dairy intolerance.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    My son has eczema and it's not caused by dairy. It's really hard to say - eczema has many causes, and environmental allergies can be a factor as much as food allergies. Does your child have any other signs of food allergy? Blood in the stools? I recommend you look through the allergies section of this forum, to see whether your child shares any other issues with babies who are allergic to dairy.

Of course, if cutting out that dairy wouldn't be a hardship, you could try that. But I probably wouldn't jump to that conclusion without several indicators of dairy intolerance.
    with all the above. It could be dairy, or it could be just about anything else. You don't want to jump to conclusions about something like that.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm going to say jump to conclusions. Cut it out for a while and see what happens. But that is just because my DD had horrible eczema that I kept getting told was baby acne. I mean it was so cracked it was weeping in her folds. I did some research and cut out dairy, she started clearing up within a week. Now it still takes 6 weeks for it to be completely out of baby's system but she was so reactive she responded quickly. This was the only indicator I had that she was allergic to dairy. Sometimes when they are little, a skin rash is the first symptom and can escalate to more severe as they get older and the allergy or intolerance worsens.

The other PPs are right. It could be something else entirely, but cutting out a food for 6 weeks just to rule it out isn't that hard. Do you like dark chocolate? You can find some good dairy free ones

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

the only "symptoms" he's been having is really bad eczema mainly on his face but now a mild case has spread to his arms and a little on his legs. he has had congestion off and on for a few months granted he's only five months. he has mild reflux. no blood in his stools or any green mucously stools. i have moderate eczema on my face that flares in the winter. i've had it since i can remember. his ped says to keep hydrocortizone cream on his face and suggested i use selsun blue on his scalp and forehead. im just at a loss. i want him to feel better and not so itchy
    mommy of one at home and at work

I definitely think the Selsun Blue helps. I had a hard time putting it on my newborn baby, believe me (it's so dark blue!) but it works. I still use it on Joe now, and it helps with his facial eczema as well as the stuff on his scalp. We also use hydrocortisone and barrier ointments (Aquaphor, etc.) all. the. time. I am constantly treating it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.