Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: I cant take how BF = bb always wif u, =(

Default Re: I cant take how BF = bb always wif u

thk you for the well wishes ladies. still very anxious, so cant reply straight.

I'm not on the anti-depressants, going to think about it for a while, but am taking a mild sedative prescribed by the doctor in the interim.

will write back soon when I get my thoughts more clear.

you ladies are invaluable.=)

my doc gave me 2 choices: prozac or dothiepin. No zoloft. wonder why

Call and ask.

Call Dr. Hale and get the REAL scoop on Prozac. Please.

And please look for a counselor. Preferably one who works with mothers who have PPD.

You deserve to feel better, to enjoy your baby.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    If you want to stop nursing, stop, by all means. It is not worth risking your health to continue if you truly feel weaning will help you.

But please know: Mothers absolutely can safely breastfeed on many anti-depressants. Its much safer than weaning to formula, which carries proven health risks. And certainly it is safer than mom not getting the treatment she needs! There is lots of misinformation about breastfeeding on "the web." You have no idea who is posting on most forums, what their sources are, or what their motives. Did you know that some Formula compainies sponsor "breastfeeding support" forums that give notoriously poor breastfeeding information? You need to get your info from RELIABLE SOURCES that are supportive of breastfeeding. No one is going to tell mothers to keep breastfeeding if it is not safe-there is no money in it. But there is a lot of financial incentive to convince mothers to not breastfeed. PLEASE contact www.infantrisk.com or your local LLL Leader for the facts about any meds that are suggested to you.

Not nursing is not likely to change how you feel or change the fact you are now a mother with a baby that relies on you to care for it. Your baby will still need to be with you, pretty constantly-no matter how you are feeding baby, right? Breastfeeding did not cause your current issues. The hormones present when a mom is nursing usually help make mothers feel better, and so in fact weaning has a risk of increasing mood disorders. Studies show that a mother who weans unwillingly or feels pressured into weaning by poor advice or lack of support may feel worse after weaning.
    Please, Keep getting professional help, if one doctor or therapist does not help, find another. Please try to be honest with them about all your concerns, not just the PPD. Did you ever contact these folks? http://postpartum.net/
    My local PSI coordinator is exactly in the same clinic as the psychiatrist that I seeing. My doctor told me to come back in 2 weeks time to decide what medication I am taking.
    and yes I recognize that it is not the breastfeeding that is making me feel so down. Perhaps I am just using breastfeeding as an excuse for my unhappiness.

thks for advice.
    who is Dr Hale?
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Call and ask.

Call Dr. Hale and get the REAL scoop on Prozac. Please.

And please look for a counselor. Preferably one who works with mothers who have PPD.

You deserve to feel better, to enjoy your baby.

Dr. Hale edits a book (the book?) on medication use while breastfeeding. Recently the university he works at has opened a call center called "infant risk" to provide advice to pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. If you call them, they'll ask about the medication and dose, your child's age and weight, how often they breastfeed. and probably some other things. They'll then provide specific advice.

Perhaps I am just using breastfeeding as an excuse for my unhappiness.
    Perhaps, but if so you are not alone, many mothers find the early weeks with a newborn very difficult and assume that breastfeeding is the issue when in fact it is mostly due to the normal intensity of new motherhood. Also of course breastfeeding can be difficult in the early weeks for some moms, but many find it gets easier and in fact is easier than bottle feeding after 6 weeks or so. But when breastfeeding is not going well (or mom thinks it is not going well) that can lead to more anxiety. So I really did mean that if you believe it will help you, weaning is an option.

But I wanted to give you the information that you can in fact be treated for ppd, including taking meds should you and your doctor feel that is important for your health, while continuing to safely breastfeed, and that abrupt or unnecesary weaning to formula may have consequences as well.

who is Dr Hale?
    Dr. Thomas Hale is a US (Texas) based professor of pediatrics who has researched the known effects (or lack of effects) of maternal medications on breastfeeding mothers and breastfed babies for many years. His book (and yes, it is THE book) that lists almost all known medications and rates them for safety when breastfeeding is called Medications and Mothers Milk and the latest edition was published in 2010, so it's quite up to date. As pp pointed out you or your doctor can call the infantrisk helpline started by Dr. Hale and speak to a counselor or of course your doctor could also get the book and from that you can decide what treatment options you would feel most comfortable with. Dr. Hale also maintains (or did maintain) an online Q&A forum for health profesionals to post queries on. But I am not sure if that is still active.

the link is www.infantrisk.org

OK. Your doctor doesn't want you back for 2 whole weeks?! Does he get how serious this is? What did he suggest you do in the interim?

That said, there have been cases of PPD that get better with nothing more than improved social support -- often making sure mom is able to successfully breastfeed (!) and obtain adequate rest, food and fresh air -- and counseling.

IF you can absolutely implement those two things today, then a 2 week wait is Ok. But if it's not, then you really need to start meds now while you work out those two things.

A psychiatrist can prescribe medication. Ask that doctor for thoughts on available medications. Unless this is the one who wants you to wait and isn't giving you more options.

Talk to the local PSI coordinator.

And yes, you are on to something with the excuse
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hello ladies
    thks for the advice.
    I will be seeing my psychiatrist in 4 days times. Will update you all then.

=)

People have given you information on Dr. Hale and his website. Here it is: www.infantrisk.com

Here's the information about how to reach Dr. Hale and his counselors who can walk you through the true effects of medications. Please call first thing Monday morning. Your phone call to them is many days overdue. You can pick up the phone and make a 10 minute call to help save your life. Please call Monday. Details:

Each year, more than 4.3 million women give birth in the U.S. Virtually all of these women will use at least one medication during pregnancy or during breastfeeding.

The InfantRisk Center will be dedicated to providing up-to-date evidence-based information on the use of medications during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Our goal is to provide accurate information regarding the risks of exposure to mothers and their babies. By educating healthcare professionals and the general public alike, we aim to reduce the number of birth defects as well as create healthy breastfeeding relationships.

We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!