Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: great sleeping newborn stopped sleeping

Default great sleeping newborn stopped sleeping

Our 7mo dd was a great sleeper as a newborn and almost immediately started sleeping through the night, from 9p to 5 or 6a. we were thrilled since our DS was such a terrible sleeper from the start.

There was the random night when she was up a few times, but for the most part she was a great sleeper and regular napper.

Then, after her 4mo appointment, she got her shots and woke up that night with a fever, and since then she has been waking up 3 or more times at night.

I'm working full-time and have been since she was 10weeks old. she is EBF when I am home, and I pump while at work. Daddy is at home with her during the day. Her daytime naps are usually 45 mins to 1 hour each, at 3 to 4 hour intervals.

We started solids at about 5 months, and she is doing pretty good enjoying the food.

No allergies.

Here are two scenarios that usually happen at bedtime now. Both occur at end of nighttime routine (jammies on, nurse, wake to put sleep sack on and say goodnight to daddy and brother, then lullaby on in room):

1. After put into bed, start to whimper then go to sleep. Wakes up anywhere from 45 mins to 3 hours later crying, and won't stop crying until I pick her up to nurse.

2. After I put her into bed, starts crying immediately which continues and escalates to wailing, back down to whimpering, etc etc until I can't bear it anymore and I bring her into bed with me. Then she will settle down and fall asleep on her own without nursing.

In both scenarios, we end up cosleeping until the morning, and she is up every 3 hours usually to nurse.

She has been gaining weight just fine and no other health issues. Her two front teeth came in around 4-5 months but I havent felt any others.

She does seem to have separation anxiety, ESP when I am leaving for work in the morning. She will whimper and cry when she sees me leave the room so we have to distract her. When I get home, she will start crying for me to pick her up as soon as she sees me. This started right around the same time as the sleep issues.

I'm not a fan of CIO and have tried getting up at night to nurse her in the rocker but that doesn't seem to help. That only results in me getting less sleep!

Has this happened to anyone else? I keep joking that her sleep function is "broken" and we need to find the reset button. I think we were spoiled early on when our newborn was such a great sleeper.

Please tell me she will sleep through the night again! Help!

1. We follo

Default Re: great sleeping newborn stopped sleep

She will sleep through again. But maybe not for a while. What you're going through is so normal, and so frustrating, and the really isn't any way to fix it because the baby isn't broken. Just inconvenient! There's so much going on in her life right now- she's growing, she's teething, she's mastering new developmental milestones, she's missing mommy all day long and adjusting to having mommy back at night... All that stuff is going to produce a night-waking baby. If it's any consolation, both my kids were up way more at that age, at least 5-6 times a night on a good night!

I'd take a look at Elizabeth Pantley's book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" for a realistic look at infant sleep and some gentle techniques that may help you get your little lady sleeping longer and more independently.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree, frustrating, but normal. My daughter never went through this stage so when my son didn't sleep well it was a great shock to me. He's 15 months and still up a lot during the night. I just pull him into bed and nurse whenever he whines. Not ideal but way better than pacing the floor or letting him cry.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

All my kids have sleep issues starting around 4 mos, and many of my friends kids. I don't know if it's teething or developmental, but after 4 kids, I've come to accept it! Now you just have to work through how you will help them learn to sleep better as they grow.

Blessings!