Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire Engine Red Diaper Rash/Food Allergy

Default Fire Engine Red Diaper Rash/Food Allergy

DD started amox. for a ingrown toe nail and over the course of the 10 days she was on it, she had a really bad rash/yeast infection. I was using only desitin at first, then tried a prescription medicine which made it worse, so then we started using baby aquaphor and then desitin (advice given from a nurse friend). She is still as red as can be, could this be an allergic reaction to veggies?

Also, her poo has thickened like crazy and is now a mustard-brown/red. Is this normal? We started w/ squash and carrots
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: Fire Engine Red Diaper Rash/Food All

IDK about the diaper rash, but the poo color/consistency is normal, given what she's eating.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Was the rash before Desitine or after? I ask because Desitine had cod liver oil in it which som babies react YO. Also some antibiotics cause yeast. For yeast I would do Antifungke cream plus barrier cream on diaper area until it clears.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Was the rash before Desitine or after? I ask because Desitine had cod liver oil in it which som babies react YO. Also some antibiotics cause yeast. For yeast I would do Antifungke cream plus barrier cream on diaper area until it clears.
    we just had a very bad rash, with cuts we used an antifungal and it eventually did work. but it took about a week and i wasnt sure if it was working for a few days.

jenna, what do you mean by barrier cream? maybe i needed to use that

BTW i never use desitin! i did with my first but he got a bad rash and i found that the desitin actually made it so much worse. and now that i think of it it was after we used an antibiotic too! he would scream when i put it on. we then started using triple paste. we now call it "the good stuff"

i cd now and only use cream if there is a problem, which is pretty rare.

Do you guys have the names of these creams?
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

the antifungal i used was just lotrimin af

triple paste is the regular cream if its not fungal

D is going through this as well, just went through his first course of antibiotics and is almost bloody. Good to know about the lotrimin. But isn't that foot cream?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

For us, DD2 reacts to tomatoes (and anything with tomatoes in it). She loves them and eats them fine, no cramps or gas. But when she poops, it reacts with her skin and turns her beet red with bleeding spots. We've removed all tomatoes from her diet now for over a month and not a single outbreak. Our doctor says it's probably the acidity and how it interacts in her system. So no pasta with tomato sauce (which is hard because that's my stand-by when I don't know what to make for dinner), no pizza, no bbq sauces, etc. It's surprising how many places tomatoes sneak in.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    D is going through this as well, just went through his first course of antibiotics and is almost bloody. Good to know about the lotrimin. But isn't that foot cream?
    It's just an antifungal. You can also use topical creams prescribed for vaginal yeast infection (clotraminazole) as it's supposed to be easier on those very sensitive tissues. Diaper rash (yeast) is CLASSIC with antibiotics. Desitin won't do the trick. You need an antiyeast cream.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    It's just an antifungal. You can also use topical creams prescribed for vaginal yeast infection (clotraminazole) as it's supposed to be easier on those very sensitive tissues. Diaper rash (yeast) is CLASSIC with antibiotics. Desitin won't do the trick. You need an antiyeast cream.
    I started reading up on it and there is conflicting reports. Some say do not ever use it for diaper rash. But Dr. Sears still has it on his site.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn