Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: baby feeds irregularly!

Default Re: baby feeds irregularly!

thk u for e advice ladies.
    a few qns =)
    i am scared of rolling over her if I zzz with her.
    and I've tried nursing her lying down...but she falls asleep so quickly and wakes up so much faster. Its a constant feed wake cycle.. it got me so tired.
    I cant do anything when I feed her. If she unlatches, she cant find her way back to the nipple....so I'm basically just watching her when she feeds to check if she has unlatched. In a sling, I cant see if she has unlatched so I'm afraid to use one.

hmmm....how come I cant feel it when baby unlatches off the breast?

Try a woven wrap (e.g. didymos) or stretchy wrap (moby) in a front cross carry. Baby will nurse in upright position, and it's pretty easy to see whether they are latched. Plus, only one hand is necessary to help hold nipple in position. You can pull part of the wrap up high enough to support baby's head. Not hands free...but you may be able to get some stuff done
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Yes, this is hard. At this age, babies need help latching. Thank goodness, once they get some head control, they get better at latching on themselves. So it gets easier. I know we keep saying that - but it's because it's true!

I wouldn't have survived without cosleeping. Joe was a legendarily bad sleeper from the get-go. I was worried at first, but it was survival. So I made our bed as safe as I could, and just let him nurse all night. It wasn't great, but he literally would NOT sleep in a crib or bassinet so I had no choice. If your baby does sleep not touching you, consider yourself lucky. It could be worse!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

agree with pps
    I'd also add that baths/showers are also optional for mom. :P I find that LO doesn't really care how much I stink, and sitting around on the couch all day feeding him and surfing the 'net doesn't require getting my hair totally clean every single day. I wash it once a week, and it actually sorta self regulates its oiliness to the less frequent washings. Of course, I've never been one to like the whole extensive making up and dressing up routine, so if that helps you feel better, then maybe showers are the way to relax. Some people carefully take baths with baby (have someone hand baby to you once you're settled in and not likely to slip around). I haven't found this to be effective, since DS freaks out the whole time and it's therefore quite stressful. But I have one of these sorta springy reclined chairs for him to hang out in right there next to the tub for a few minutes while I shower after making sure he's full and content.
    I have also found that wrapping baby onto me while walking around the neighborhood is a good way to get some time out of the house. Although LO initially screams about the wrapping process (I'm pretty fumbly) as soon as we're outdoors and keeping in constant motion, he's out like a light. You could try this also for getting chores done.
    I wouldn't worry too much about rolling onto baby if you're not under the influence of anything (alcohol, drugs, benadryl, etc) or incredibly behind on sleep. (My mom was an IBCLC and mother-baby nurse and said she'd only ever encountered one overlying incident and it was due to dad being incredibly overtired.) Your body is able to keep you in a slightly less deep sleep so you will probably wake up pretty quick from baby's cues/movement, and you won't roll onto baby, the same way you don't roll out of bed. Maybe you could practice by napping with baby with someone watching you, so you will be reassured? Or practice with a teddy bear or something? I sleep with LO's head essentially in my armpit, with my arm sorta curled around. It makes rolling over onto him virtually impossible, although it is a slightly weird arm position. Sometimes for naps he prefers sleeping on my chest, tummy to tummy with his arms hanging off around my sides just below my breasts. I would be unable to sleep without him on/by me, I'd be so worried, so cosleeping is the only way I can relax.
    I have a quilt spread out on the living room floor, and I sit there indian-style and fold laundry with LO relaxing in my lap or right next to my leg, so he feels snuggled and close but my hands are free. DS is 7.5 wks and sometimes wants to spend some time (like up to an hour a day) hanging out on the floor with me near him, but not actually holding him. Since I've basically just taken over one room, I can sometimes straighten up the mess I've made in there while he admires the ceiling fan. But the first 7 weeks, I was stuck in one place, nursing all day, every half hour or so, just like pretty much everyone else here.
    I hope you find your groove as a new mom soon, and I'm sure it will get easier over time.

Well, the first few weeks are hard. But MUCH easier than how I had to do it this time...which was pump. All I did was pump and feed for 3 long months. But breastfeeding..,it's easy in the long run.

I cope by:
    Eating takeout, making hubby cook, stopping at a drive through and picking something up.
    Dishes are optional. We don't use disposable dishes as a rule, but when I have a new baby, I do. Or we just hold a sandwich in our hands.
    I shower at night when DH is home (he leaves at 5:30 am and gets home at 8pm, leaving me home alone with four children under 7) and every other night.
    I cosleep. Your instincts will keep baby safe,
    Sleep when baby is sleeping. Some of my best memories are from nursing and feeding my first laying down, just on demand, off and on all afternoon. So lazy, so warm.
    Nurse baby down and roll away slowly to get up and do some laundry.
    Baby sling.

This is nature's way to make you slow down so your body can heal and so you can bond as a family. Don't fight this.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

This will pass more quickly than you think. Just a few short months ago I was new to this forum and wondering the same thing. My LO had issues transferring milk so I was both breast feeding and bottle feeding every feeding session and pumping afterwards or while bfing. One feeding was barely over before time to start the next. DD only tolerated being set down for about 20 minutes sleeping before she figured out I wasn't holding her. During those times I would eat or shower only. Then the rest of the time we co-slept while napping, and lots of baby wearing. I put her in the Moby wrap so I could do laundry or dishes. I let the housework go but I couldn't sit there all day without doing SOMEthing. These were hard days.

Now my LO is 4 months and it was all so worth it. We traveled for Christmas and I didn't need to pack formula. If I want a break I lay with her and nurse. Bottles are so much work. Also if she's upset nursing calms her down. We both love it now. It was all worth it, don't give up! We are here for you!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

u just cope, the first few weeks are the hardest.
    im a single mum n also have a 3 yr old and corey still feeds every hour n gets up atleast twice a night...he doesnt go slepp till 1am n i get up at 8 or earlier with my toddler.

im bloody knackered hahahaha
    my tip is housework CAN wait x