Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ok ladies...you saved me once...i need h

Unhappy ok ladies...you saved me once...i need h

I exclusively bf my dd for 3 years and i thought this time around bf would be easier b/c i had some experience. i had thrush/mastitis...ended up having tougue clipped which helped alot w dd...we had a rough start. now with my newest addition we are having some problems, not as bad as with dd. went to the lc already and his latch is def the problem. i am trying so hard to latch him the right way but he just ends up shallow. mt left nipple is not a problem. the right on which is slightly bigger than the left has like a huge crater on it which is open. i am using apno...which is helping alot with the pain. the lc suggested pumping that side till it heals but i didn't like the idea of giving him bottles so i continued to feed. it got worse and now 1 week later i am pumping that side and feeding on the other. i make a lot of milk and the lc thinks the injury to the right side may be due to him clamping...so i tried different positions which seems to help that...no more gagging at the breast. the baby is taking 5-6 oz at a feeding (i manage to freeze 4 oz a day) and he is 3 weeks old today. i think i just need some encouragement...pumping and feeding is taking so much time esp at night(and becuase he drinks so much milk i have to feed and give a bottle in the same feeding time). i am exhausted. oh and his tougue is ok no issues there. this website was soooo helpful with my dd ...why is it taking so long to heal this right nipple?? i can't wear the shield because it initiates a letdown when my milk comes in and i end up soaked....thanks in advance ladies....

Default Re: ok ladies...you saved me once...i ne

I may not have the most comprehensive advice, since I'm new to this, but I, too, had awful cracks on both nipples from a shallow latch/clamping babe. DS is now almost 7 wks, and only just now are the cracks (there since the beginning) almost completely healed. I found hydrogel pads to be the most helpful thing in healing the nipples, they kept the nursing pads from sticking to me and reopening the wounds, as well as keeping the nipple moist all day (I'm in the desert), and that in turn made them open up less with each nursing. I'd smear the nipple, especially the crack with breastmilk right after he finished eating, then let it dry for a minute or so, then put the hydrogels right back on. I also found the suggestion of giving my nipples a little salt water bath useful, but hard to keep up with a screamingly hungry baby, so I only did it maybe once a day. That being said, nothing really worked until I spent a lot of time fixing his latch. Which was frustrating sometimes, it meant breaking the suction and starting him over many times (especially at night) before he made a good latch. Maybe in the mean time, trying to nurse in different positions will help alleviate pressure on the wound? I dunno. Hang in there. Take it from someone in the same boat, it will get better.
    I'm sure someone else will step in with more helpful advice/tips, but this is what helped me.

What about just nursing on the one side and pumping enough off the other to avoid pain? You might not be able to do it at all feedings, but the more you just nurse on the one side, the more your supply on that side will compensate. 5-6 oz/ feeding is a lot for a baby that young. Do you think maybe he just wants to suck, but doesn't need that much milk? If you can get the supply undercontrol on your right side, that might make your lo more likely to nurse on it better since he won't be getting so much to deal with. My dd would only nurse on one side for months b/c she didn't like the strong letdown on the other side. I was a bit lopsided, but it worked. Her brother was tandem nursing, so he nursed on that side a few times a day.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

5-6 oz is way too much! My 11+ month old doesn't even drink that much! most babies take 1 to 1.5 oz an hour.

I would pump one side and feed the other. But if you are finding you can nurse the sore side using different positions, I would do that instead of pumping.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Tips on coping with a bad crack:
    - Moisture- keep the crack covered with a hydrogel pad or lanolin ointment, keep the humidity high in your house
    - Use combination of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin antibiotic ointment to combat inflammation/infection- use pea-sized amount mixed and applied with clean finger
    - Hydrate crack prior to nursing by immersing it for 30-60 seconds in shot glass full of want water (scab will open less painfully when hydrated)
    - Reduce chaffing by going topless/bra-less as much as possible
    - Feed on the good side first and the cracked side second (babies tend to be more gentle and have more patience for repeated latching attempts after their hunger is somewhat satisfied)
    - Consider feeding only on the good side and just pumping the cracked side for a few days or even for just part of every day in order to promote healing and get through this rough patch
    - Experiment with different nursing positions- if one works better than the others, use it
    - When pumping, reduce workload by leaving pump screwed to bottle and popping entire assembly in fridge. When it's time to pump again, you can pump new milk on top of the old. It's safe to do this 1x before washing everything again- but it still cuts pump wash load in half!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks ladies i love the pump/fridge idea...i have been doing most of this already but it is sooooo much harder this time having a 4 year old who is having issues transitioning w the new baby. i am still using the paul newmans mixture ointment and i didn't feed him at all for a couple days and now it is much less painful to nurse. still just overwhelmed....he was a 9 pounder at birth and he is gaining weight as he should and is def not full after 2-3 oz. my daughter took much less than him at this age...but he never throws up and the doctor said newborns rarely overeat so i have no choice but to feed him as much as he wants even if it is 5-6 oz...

My 9 pounder was full at 2 oz when he was that age. It has nothing to do with weight and you can overfeed a baby via a bottle. Especially a bottle. Keep working n the nursing. That will be way easier in the long run.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

the baby is taking 5-6 oz at a feeding
    I assume you mean baby is taking this much when bottle fed? Because you would not know exactly how much he would take at the breast-right?
    Babies notoriously will take much more from a bottle than from the breast, there is a really good explanation for why, it has to do with hormones and sucking times and stuff. IN any case, Here are tips for bottle feeding the breastfed baby that may help slow down the feeding & that may help you not be so overwhelmed by trying to pump so much. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Your doctor is right newborns do not over eat AT THE BREAST. They over eat all the time with bottles.

As far as the cracked nipple not healing-is that getting any better? If you are not nursing and pumping is not reinjuring it, (pumping can injure nipples so look out for that) then it needs to be examined again. Unless a nipple is being constantly reinjured, it should heal within a matter of days.

I suspect you have some overactive letdown and possibly oversupply still going on and that is causing baby to clamp at the nipple.

I assume you have seen these but jic: http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html and http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

i went to the LC twice and he weighed him before and after each feeding...he took 5 and a half ounces both times from the breast not the bottle. i don't weigh him at home so i'm not so sure if this is consistent when he nurses. the lc was shocked he drank that much too. The nipple is feeling much better i have only nursed him today since 1pm/no bottles and no pumping and it is 11pm at night and so far so good. i do have an overactive letdown which is how the nipple was injured in the first place ...well that is what my lc thinks. the breast i am having issues with makes more milk than the other one..i still have to really watch his latch he tends to fall into a shallow latch while feeding...but i do feel a lil better about nursing. it did take the nipple a week and almost 4 days of pumping with only two feedings a day on that breast to allow to heal. i'm still afraid of letting him nurse and not realizing that he isn't latched right. while i was at the lc i had a hard time differentiating a good latch from a bad one. the nipple was not shaped correctly upon unlatching and i really couldn't tell the difference...i am going to try to nurse overnight tonight and not pump at all. i am hoping it will give me a lil x tra sleep as now i am also sick with a head cold and a sore throat...

oh and i forgot to add that my flanges i was using were too small my lc gave me new ones and i think that has helped...i use the ameda hospital grade pump.