Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: my breasts always feel uncomfortable.

Default my breasts always feel uncomfortable.

Is this expected?
    My breasts are always uncomfortable even after feeding bb. They feel full and heavy. Is this normal and expected fr breastfeeding? Or are we to feel 'normal' like before (b4 we started breastfeeding)

thanks!

Default Re: my breasts always feel uncomfortable

Your baby is 5 weeks, right? If so, then yes, this is normal for someone who is still so early on in her breastfeeding career. Most moms overproduce milk in the early days/weeks of breastfeeding. The body errs on the side of making extra milk, assuring that the baby is more than adequately fed as she masters the art of breastfeeding. But as time goes on, and if mom nurses on demand and stays away from the pump, her body is eventually going to address that situation, reducing milk supply to meet the baby's needs more precisely. At this point, the feeling of fullness should go away except in rare cases when the baby sleeps an extra long time at night or skips a feeding for some other reason. Most long-term nursing moms feel "empty" most of the time, yet continue to have plenty of milk for their babies.

Oversupply can cause issues for mama and baby. Mama can be very uncomfortable, and baby may experience fast letdowns that make her choke, cough, gag, splutter, or pull off the breast during feedings. If any of this is happening to you, let us know, and we'll help you come up with a plan to fix it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

A mom with OS always feels a bit too full until her supply regulates. Easiest and fastest way to make that happen (totally speaking from experience, as I have OS):

No pumping. Pumping makes it worse. I was given bad advice after my first baby and told to pump after feedings. I stopped pumping at perhaps 6-8 weeks, but the damage was done. I leaked milk for 8-10 months (and I didn't know about reusable nursing pads, so I used a box a week!) and was engorged for almost as long. But I didn't do that with my subsequent two babies, and it regulated much, much faster.
    Nurse on demand.
    Cosleep; the hormones help keep you in sync with baby
    Babywear
    Time. It takes time

And it is a blessing in the long run, as you will find it easy to feed baby quickly and get baby happy again. And you should have no trouble nursing to at least a year if you let things go as they should.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Agree with PPs

I had OS, felt full first few months -- now they don't feel like that ever unless I forget to offer the "right" side (or if LO skips a nursing).
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Thank you for the quick replies.
    Now I feel more reassured that its normal.
    Yes, I have overactive let down too....and bb splutters, chokes, turns red and gasps whenever she feeds. SHe unlatches fr my breast over 10xs each feed. And gets so frustrated that she doesn;t want to drink anymore...and then get hungry again within the hour.
    I don;t know what to do. each feeding session is so stressful.

n yes, bb is 5 weeks.
    ANd its been a long 5 weeks. I dun know how to hang on. i dun know how u other moms do it.

Oversupply is challenging, mama! And it makes those first few difficult weeks even more difficult. But you can do it! I did, Susan (aprilsmagic) did, lots of other moms here did- and you can manage oversupply. Here's how:
    1. No pumping unless you are in extreme discomfort. If you are extremely uncomfortable, hand-express or pump the minimum amount of milk necessary to get yourself back to a tolerable state. The more milk you remove from the breast, the more you will make.
    2. Adopt reclined nursing positions to help baby cope with letdowns. If you can get gravity working in your favor to slow mi flow, things should be easier.
    3. If reclined nursing and cutting out pumping are not enough to get things under control, you may need to block feed. Block feeding is feeding on just one breast per feeding, sometimes for several feedings in a row. Moms with modest oversupply may need to use one breast per feeding and switch to the opposite breast at the next feeding. Moms with more severe oversupply may need to use the same breast for several hours in a row.

Start slow and let us know how it goes! Lots of us have gone through the oversupply thing and it takes time to get it fixed but it's definitely doable.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ugh. Been there. I was VERY uncomfortable breastfeeding Joe. I remember thinking, my goodness, no one warned me about this! I thought breastfeeding was supposed to convenient, natural, a bonding experience - and all I can think about is whether my breasts are going to EXPLODE before the next feeding! I needed to nurse Joe more than he needed to be nursed (this is a great way to get a plump, healthy baby, btw - he was 24 lbs at 6 months).

Thank goodness it does get better. Especially (saw your other post) be careful about pumping, it tends to send OS mamas into extreme, out of control oversupply. Follow the advice above and you will be feeling better soon. For me the sensation of fullness would still hit after a few months, but it was far more manageable and bearable. Part of it is that your body gets used to making milk and after a while it feels more normal, less uncomfortable.

ETA: One sort of positive thing about oversupply is that it makes it very hard to wean. I mean, you can't go from exploding to milk to having no milk overnight - it's a painful and difficult process. I still think my oversupply is one reason I didn't give up - I didn't know how to! This was a benefit in the long run. I could talk about wanting to quit, but the logistics of quitting would have been far more difficult. This helped me get through those feelings of claustrophobia and exhaustion, but I kept breastfeeding because it was the only way for me to get relief for my giant, overfull boobs! In the end, this was a blessing in disguise.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; January 1st, 2012 at 12:00 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I did a lot of side laying nursing and bock feeding to control it with my second and third babies.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!