Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: only feeds from one side

Default Re: only feeds from one side

my DD did the same thing sometime between 4-6 months. she did great on my right side and mostly refused my left unless asleep. the only thing that sort of worked was to hold her in a football hold on the left side to try to trick her into thinking it was the right. she eventually outgrew this aversion (within a couple months) and now at one year nurses both sides just fine.
    remember that lots of moms only nurse on one side exclusively and produce plenty of milk for their babes (if you think about it, we have two breasts because natural human reproduction rarely produces more than twins!).
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*saidah View Post
    my DD did the same thing sometime between 4-6 months. she did great on my right side and mostly refused my left unless asleep. the only thing that sort of worked was to hold her in a football hold on the left side to try to trick her into thinking it was the right. she eventually outgrew this aversion (within a couple months) and now at one year nurses both sides just fine.
    remember that lots of moms only nurse on one side exclusively and produce plenty of milk for their babes (if you think about it, we have two breasts because natural human reproduction rarely produces more than twins!).
    hahah i honestly never thought of it like that before!
    i tried the football hold afew times and it didnt work on him, he realised n bit me lol

hes now trying his luck biting the right today so im not impressed. ive also noticed a huge drop in his feeds since hes been weaning which i wasnt expecting this soon, so im making sure i add extra milk into his food so hes atleast getting something

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*moomin View Post
    hes now trying his luck biting the right today so im not impressed. ive also noticed a huge drop in his feeds since hes been weaning which i wasnt expecting this soon, so im making sure i add extra milk into his food so hes atleast getting something
    Are you trying to wean him from the breast? 5 month olds will not wean on their own, though they will increase in efficiency, making it seem like they aren't getting as much milk from the breast. In reality, they are just faster than they used to be. Don't take this as a signal that it's time to back away from nursing. He's going through a lot of changes at this age and any of them can change his nursing habits for awhile, but that doesn't mean it's time to wean him.

FWIW, I've been nursing my 15 month old exclusively on my right breast for the past 13 months. You absolutely can produce enough milk, but you have to keep putting baby to the breast every time baby wants to nurse. If your LO still wants to nurse every hour, let him. Don't try to hold him out for two hours and fill him up with rice cereal. That is empty calories that will constipate him and possibly give him too much iron, which is unhealthy. At 5 months, he probably isn't really ready for solids anyway. Some babies are, but I'd venture most are not.

Are there any differences between the breasts, such as nipple shape or speed of let-down? These could trigger a preference for one breast over the other. As I fed more from the right breast, I noticed let-down started speeding up in that breast. Yours could be doing this as well, which could cause him to bite that side, too, to try to control the flow. Of course, this is also high time for teething, so that could be causing biting as well. There are lots of threads on here about what to do about teething-related biting. I'm sure you'll find some great advice.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010