Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24+ hrs since last nurse

Default 24+ hrs since last nurse

Seems everything is happening at once. Teething, growth spurt, I have a yeast infection (no dairy = no yougurt), period started, back @ work this week (work 8 days on then 6 off). Has adamantly refused to nurse since last night. Cries, straightens back, turns head. Tried less than an ounce of milk in a bottle to satiate & sort of trick him back to my breast - no go when it usually works. I know it will pass & am thankful for a hospital grade pump but feeling like a dairy cow today & sort of resenting him which doesn't help. Giving a bottle to him with leaking boobs doesn't feel right. He's 3 months & started eating every 1.5 hrs since Monday night. When I'm home from work its always offer breast first then the bottle when he starts the back arching & screaming. He'll attempt the breast & will start to chow down but then spits out & cries. Suggestions are welcome but mostly just looking for a hang in there.

Default Re: 24+ hrs since last nurse

Could he have an ear infection (or some other kind of pain)?
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

You poor dear! That sounds horrible even without the strike! You deserve a gold star for just making it through the week. It will get better!
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmanih View Post
    Could he have an ear infection (or some other kind of pain)?
    Thought of that, too, but no fever although his cheeks were rosy yesterday. & he's down to 1 poo/day & they're a creamy texture? & he takes to the bottle like nothing's wrong. so just me We've been giving him the hyland's teething tablets & still won't nurse but is a really happy baby afterwords!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katmar View Post
    You poor dear! That sounds horrible even without the strike! You deserve a gold star for just making it through the week. It will get better!
    Thank you, I needed that!

How has it been in the last day?

I just keep thinking this poor mom is going to end up EPing

There is sme stuff on Kellymom about dealing with strikes and on coaxing baby back to the breast.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I work overnights so no news yet. I have a feeling when I'm working its going to be a struggle to compete with the bottle & my week off we'll be fine. don't want to ep but will if I have to or liquify food. Him only getting bm is the one thing I am bloody minded about.

Can you take him to bed and try to dream feed at every opportunity? I realize this might be hard with overnight shifts, though. Gosh, I hope you get this baby back to the breast!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Woohoo! Strike's over for now! He started Thursday night not wanting to nurse unless we were in bed then by the time I left for work he was refusing all together. Even tried walking around while trying. Whatever was wrong is done for now so we're happy! Thanks for the support!

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Update -he went back on strike the next day. Changed bottles again to the regular medela that came with the pump & viola! No more bottle preference & paces himself now. Was able to use the tiny 1.5 oz bottles as a snack & slip mine in when it was empty. Started a lot more dream feeding with the snack & trick until eventually no trick needed. Offered every hour while napping. Once work break started we've pretty much been in bed with no visitors & no time apart since tues morning. Because he went on his nursing strike while going through growth spurt I was concerned I couldn't keep up with his new feedings. At first I couldn't & was heartbreaking when he would whine that boob was empty & so was he. But I kept offering every hour & we're over the bottle preference & just fine with feedings. So updating for the mammas who are having concerns - just keep feeding! Even if they just ate - just keep at it - your body & baby will figure it out!