Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: only feeds from one side

Default only feeds from one side

Hello ladies im new to the forum and im having trouble feeding my son corey whos almost 5 months old.

well past 2 weeks corey is refusing to drink from the left side unless its during the night n he drinks from it in his sleep.

no matter what i try everytime i get him on that boob during the day he just bites me (hes got 2 teeth)....theres nothing wrong with his side so i have no idea why hes fighting me.

ive tried him with ebm in bottles but he wont drink it, i then gave it him in a sippy cup and he drank it all but cried for boob still

he still feeds every hour for about 15 mins, so because hes only taking the right side im running out of milk...im trying to make him go atleast 2 hours between feeds now so i can get more milk made.

he seems to be interested in food so im thinking if i start him on baby rice and use my expressed milk to make that it will give enough time between feeds for the right to catch up.

what a rant lol anyway does anyone else have this problem, and if so what do u do about it?
    the bites are really hard ones and make me bleed so im sick of even trying to feed from that side anymore

Default Re: only feeds from one side

Hummm. I don't know why that would be, but sometimes when milk sits there for awhile it will taste salty. Maybe try pumping to clear it out?

As for "running out of milk" on your right side. You can't run out. The more he removes and drinks, the more you will make. I wouldn't try to get him to hold off. Just offer the left one first and then give him the right. He may refuse the left, but I'd offer it.

Have you had his ears checked? Maybe his ears are hurting and that's why he's fussing on one side. It may also be teething pain. Have you tried Tyelonel?

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

thanks

for the teething i use ashton and parsons powder, his ears havent been checked but hes fine to be held on that side and will feed during the night but not in the day or before bed :S
    i still over the left and get bit or he just refuses so i then give the right.

i have been expressing from the left, but maybe i need to do it more often, i just dont want to waste much milk as he wont take a bottle off me but will my mum.
    im seeing the HV soon so i will make an appointment with the doc to check his ear

My son had the EXACT problem and it was my left side as well. If I fed him laying down it was the only way he would take the
    Left. Also it was mid feeding on the right I would pop him off to go to the left. It was a struggle. That's probably why when I do pump I get almost triple from the right as I do from the left. Maybe try laying down or popping him off the right mid way and try the left? Something that always made me feel better was thinking that women with a mastectomy and only one breast are able to feed their babies and women with twins can feed their babies...that seemed to help me not obsess about the left side as much. Hope that helps a little :-)
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

thanks nicque
    unfortunatly lying down ect nothing will work with this boy everything i try doesnt work and he either refuses and screams or bite the hell out of me...damn early teething lol
    he takes it fine during night feeds, so thats the main boob i gave him last night.

i think ive now excepted hes not going to take the left anymore altho i will still offer it during the day. im just at a loss with what to do with the milk i express during the day....i dont drain it so i get about 7 oz in total and he hates taking bottles from me so ive been freezing it, but it seems like a waste.

altho i do think im going to try and give him baby rice today and use some of my milk that way

Use it to bake baby teething crackers. Or something. Put it in sippy cups.

It is totally possible to feed a baby on one side and not even express the other.

FWIW, I pump because my baby was born unable to nurse. I get 90% of his milk from my left side. I had two operations on my right when I was in my 20's. At my production peak, I was getting a total of 8 oz in 24 hours from my right. I had no idea when I was directly BFing the supply was so different.

I would maybe mention it to my doc. Sometimes there is a real reason why a baby stops nursing one breast.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Use it to bake baby teething crackers. Or something. Put it in sippy cups.

It is totally possible to feed a baby on one side and not even express the other.

FWIW, I pump because my baby was born unable to nurse. I get 90% of his milk from my left side. I had two operations on my right when I was in my 20's. At my production peak, I was getting a total of 8 oz in 24 hours from my right. I had no idea when I was directly BFing the supply was so different.

I would maybe mention it to my doc. Sometimes there is a real reason why a baby stops nursing one breast.
    thanks so much ladies for ur advice
    today i bought a new sippy cup designed for 4m plus so ile try and use that but today i fed him from just my right and my left side hasnt got as full today and i havent even expressed.
    i also tried him with abit of baby rice made from the expressed milk and he enjoyed it.

i am going to make a docs appointment as i think i do need to be checked over, better to be safe then sorry

im also going to keep expressing and use my milk to cook for him when he starts to eat real food. ive also gave some to my toddler to try but he wasnt impressed hahah

I have been having the same problem only she wont nurse on the right or it is a struggle. My daughter will be 4 mo on the 15th. The bigger problem with that to me is that I cant even pump much from the right. maybe on ounce once or twice a day, but it feels full! Any suggestions?
    AdriAnn born 6/24/09
    Kayleigh born 9/15/11 with its struggles, but worth it all!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*adri-kay.mom View Post
    I have been having the same problem only she wont nurse on the right or it is a struggle. My daughter will be 4 mo on the 15th. The bigger problem with that to me is that I cant even pump much from the right. maybe on ounce once or twice a day, but it feels full! Any suggestions?
    ive been lucky with expressing as normaly i can get afew ounces at a time. i have a manual tommie tippie pump but sometimes i find hand expressing works better. u get ur first finger and thumb in a c shape, start at the base of ur boob and pull down to the nipple. i also find if i push or squeeze certain points my milk shoots out lol
    doing that i got 4 oz in less then 15 mins