Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight Question

Default Weight Question

So DS is 5 months and he weighs exactly 15.0 pounds. It sounds normal but he has lost .3 pounds since I weighed him at 4 months

His diaper output is good. He is alert and happy. I would not have even known if I did not weigh him so I can write it in his baby book.

Is this.. okay?
    July 27 2011

Default Re: Weight Question

Did you weigh him on the same scale as the previous weigh in? Same amount of clothing/diaper on? Did he start moving around or becoming more active? My LO's weight gain dropped off significantly around that same time period -- mainly because he started becoming mobile (our diaper output was good too, so we didn't worry about it).
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

it was the same scale and he had a fresh diaper and a sleeper on just like last time. i know .3 lb is not that much but shouldnt he be gaining? i thought EBF babies leveled off later than just 5 mo?

my solid-enforcing MIL is having a field day with this
    July 27 2011

Let's see. My LO's stats:

Birth 7lb 8oz
    1 mo 10lb 5oz
    2 mo 12lb 12oz
    4 mo 15lb 4oz
    6 mo 17lb
    9 mo 18lb 12oz

And that wasn't all gained evenly... he went for a month or two (I think 5-6mos) with no weight gain.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Here are the WHO growth charts: http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/who_charts.htm

And a Dr. Sears article about BF baby weight gain:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/bre...ding-baby-gain

thanks I guess I just needed reassurance.
    July 27 2011

Is he mobile? If so, that is where it went. That happened to my second baby, who was newly mobile. He burned it all off. Don't sweat it. And tell MIL to leave you alone
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!