Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 weeks and never seems full

Default 5 weeks and never seems full

My LO is 5 weeeks old and never seems to get full when at the breast. He takes it just fine but
    usually falls asleep within about 10 minutesor so. He rarely seems content after waking up at the breast either. We also nurse for an hour or longer most of the time.

I don't know what to do...I am going back to work soon and I am afraid I wont have a good enough supply to keep him happy while I'm at work. Now each time I pump, which is about 3-4 times a day in addition to nursing, I only get about 2 ounces each time. Sometimes not even that much.

Any advice will help please!!!

Default Re: 5 weeks and never seems full

Welcome to the forums, and congrats, momma! My first thought was growth spurt-- it usually happens around 6 week mark. Babies will often seem 'unsatisfied', even if you just nursed them, it's their way of amping up your milk supply in anticipation of the growth spurt. As long as you're nursing when baby shows cues of needing, that's totally normal behavior, in my estimation.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Hi, and good work getting thru the first month! Agree with PP. also, pumping two ounces while nursing -- esp if he is in a growth spurt -- is actually fine. Are you pumping in the am? Just keep pumping your two ounces daily to build up your stash for the first days. On subsequent days you'll use what you pumped at work, which youll find is much more when you arent also nursing. You can do it!

ETA: i would drop to one pumping session in the morning. What you need most right now is rest and sweet time with your baby! You really will have enough once you are pumping instead of nursing! You might try a day or two away from LO, at least for a few hours, to try that kind of pumping out before you go full days, if you need the reassurance.
    Last edited by @llli*katmar; December 31st, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

Welcome eastonsmommy!

How is baby's weight gain, output? is this a new issue (which would indicate a growth spurt as pp suggests) or have you always felt this way? How frequently is baby nursing?

Generally speaking, babies like to nurse alot. They like to nurse very frequently. So its hard to use behavior as the only guide for if baby is getting enough. Weight gain and output (poops) are the best indicator. The only thing I find slightly concerning about what you describe is that baby is always falling asleep at the breast. It is perfectly normal for a baby to nurse to sleep, but for it to be happening every time at this age seems slightly off the norm. But again, if weight gain and output is good that would be reassuring.

When are you going back to work, exactly? I assume you will be pumping while you are at work. So the milk you are pumping now is to have a stash for that first day and for the first few days while you gear up for pumping at work, which can take a little practice. In other words, you do not need pounds and pounds of milk stashed.

The norm for a mom to be pumping when she is also nursing all day is between .5 and 2 oz. So you can take the "only" out of that sentence! 2 ounces or less is just what you should be pumping. When you are at work and pumping on a schedule and not nursing during working hours, you will likely build up to pumping more each session.

Here is a good article on what is normal in the early weeks: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html
    and this page links to several good articles on working, pumping and output: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html

I also suggest the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition, 2010) This is the most up to date and well researched breastfeeding manual available to mothers. It has two excellent chapters devoted to pumping and handling separations from baby. It is available at bookstores, online, maybe at the library. $20.00 US retail but you can find it for less online.