Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help, please

Question help, please

i just had my daughter on sunday. we have had problems with breast feeding. she latches on, but then gets frustrated quickly because my milk has not come in yet. i have been supplementing since day 2, which i probably shouldnt have done because now she just gets more frustrated. i always start a feeding with the breast, but once she gets so irritated and starts screaming (after many attempts) i have been giving her a bottle. i think my milk is beginning to come in today (my breasts feel heavy and warm, but not engorged). what can i do to get rid of the bottle and be able to get her to latch on and only breast feed??

Default Re: help, please

I'm so sorry you're going through this. She probably is frustrated because she's used to getting "more" from the bottle. Thankfully I only supplemented one night before the Dr. told me to stop. The more she nurses on you, the more milk you will make to satisfy her. You're going to have to nurse nurse nurse. You never run out of milk so don't worry that she isn't getting enough. The flow from the bot is much faster than the breast so she could be frustrated with that too. Get rid of the supplements as fast as you can. The less she nurses, the less milk you'll make. Good luck!!!! Congrats on your new little gift!!!!

Do you have a LLL Leader in your area that you could call? She would be able to give you specific advice and I found it so help to talk to someone in those early days.

Quote Originally Posted by neptunebaby View Post
    i just had my daughter on sunday.
    Congrats!

we have had problems with breast feeding. she latches on, but then gets frustrated quickly because my milk has not come in yet.
    Will she nurse at all? Are you hand expressing or pumping after the feedings where your baby doesn't nurse well?

i have been supplementing since day 2, which i probably shouldnt have done because now she just gets more frustrated. i always start a feeding with the breast, but once she gets so irritated and starts screaming (after many attempts) i have been giving her a bottle.
    Could you try starting out a feeding with LOTS of skin to skin contact?
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/01a-skin-to-skin.html You could try hand expressing or pumping in order to start the flow of milk before putting baby to the breast. Also, you could try breast compressions while your baby is nursing to keep her interested. Here are some neat instructional videos on breast compression (and latching, too!): http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

i think my milk is beginning to come in today (my breasts feel heavy and warm, but not engorged).
    Your breasts don't have to be engorged for your milk to have become more plentiful.

what can i do to get rid of the bottle and be able to get her to latch on and only breast feed??
    • Call your nearest LLL Leader, or an IBCLC for assistance and support.

• Skin to skin contact

• Hand express or pump to start flow before putting baby to breast

• Help baby latch on with her mouth far back on the areola (dark area around the nipple)

• Breast compressions to keep baby interested

• If baby gets upset at the breast, take time to calm her down by rocking, walking, singing, ect. before attempting again

Thank you so much for your advice. I talked to my sister also and she said to stop the formula. If anything, for the times that she won't even latch on because she is too upset, pump and feed breast milk through the bottle. I managed to pump a 1/2 ounce and she took that, reluctantly (i think because she is used to the taste of formula now). She still acted like she was hungry but I couldn't get anymore out. She did latch on for a minute or two on each breast before the session ended. I soothed her and she fell asleep. Now I am just waiting to produce more. My sister said that I will probably have to nurse her every hour until my body realizes what her demand is. I guess it's going to be a LONG couple of days, but I refuse to give up!

I will find out where my local LLL is and give them a call too. I appreciate all of your help and I'm sure I will be on the board quite frequently from now on. I'm so glad I found this site!!

Yes, you'll probably spend a good deal of time nursing but it's a great time to rest up from the energy consuming process of giving birth. A lot of us have found that gathering all the things we need like water, snacks, magazines, remotes in a comfy spot and just planning to stay there helps. Best wishes and remember that although it is tough to get started, it eventually gets so easy!

You can do it! Just like I-Man's Momma suggested, get a book, a glass of water, some healthy snacks, the phone, and the tv remote and camp out someplace comfy, with your shirt off and baby's shirt off and cover both of you with a blanket if you're cold. Skin to skin contact is the best! I had to teach my baby how to love the breast becuase she had a bottle too...and it was very difficult but it can be done.

If you can get rid of the supplements, that would be advisable. Remember that you are all your baby needs, and that babies can survive on colostrum alone for days! So, if your milk is indeed coming in, you need to tell your body to produce milk.

If at all possible, you should be doing nothing but caring for your baby...if someone can take care of you, even better.

Good luck mama, and congrats on the new babe!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes