Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood in baby spit-up

Default Blood in baby spit-up

I've been breast feeding for a month now (my baby is 1 month old), but today my baby spit up and there was blood in the spitup. She spit up a few times today and there was a little blood in there every time.

My dr. Just put me on birth control today (i took my first pill today) and she also put me on Nystatin cream for my nipples because she said it looked like there was a little bit of yeast. My baby shows no signs of thrush.

Should i call the hospital, or is this normal?

Thanks,

Erica

Default Re: Blood in baby spit-up

hi erica,
    i have read about this and that it actually can be blood from your nipple if it is a little cracked ..i would put a call in just in case, though.

Tiffany

I second what the previous poster said. Check your nipples. My daughter had blood in her spit up once, but my nipples were cracked and I realized it was from me. I your nipples are OK I'd definately call your baby's pediatrician.

Jennifer

Hi Erica,
    Would it be possible for you to talk to an IBCLC or LLL Leader? I would suggest seeing or talking to someone to get this all cleared up.

BTW, I don't know if you are aware, but babies can have thrush and not show any signs. If you are being treated but dd isn't, she could just pass it right back to you again and again. Typically when yeast is suspected it is recommended that both mom and baby be treated simultaneously. You may want to check out this link:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html

HTH!

Keep us posted.

Ok everybody, thanks for the help. The blood stopped so i think it came from my breast. I'm going to call the pediatrician tomorrow and see if i should get the baby treated or not. Thanks for the help everyone.