Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I may be eating the Wrong FOODS!

Default I may be eating the Wrong FOODS!

Hi. My baby is 5 weeks old and we have been through alot in those 5 weeks. At her tweek check up the doc suggested that i supplement because i have a low milk supply because the baby was supper fussy all the time nursing every 30mins to an hour and only gained 3 oz in 2 weeks. I was okay with the supplementing initially becasue we were giving her infamil then had to change to Similac and thats when we started have a very very gassy baby. She would scream from how much her stomach hurt her. We tried all the similac family and are not back to infamil to supplement. I also just purchased the funagreek to help increase my supply. My QUESTION is ....... What should i NOT be eating that may be causing her gas? She is constantly passing gas.

Please help.

Thanks,
    Monica

Default Re: I may be eating the Wrong FOODS!

Hi, Monica!

Congrats on your new baby! Lots of new babies are very gassy. But you are right, the formula may be contributing to this.

In regards to the timing, a newborn baby will want to nurse every 30 minutes to two hours. This is VERY common and is actually quite perfect. You see their little tummies are tiny, and breastmilk is very pure. So it's quickly digested and they are ready for more. It's normal, natural and common. Breastmilk is a perfect food made perfectly by your body for your baby. Formula will seem to "fill up" a baby for longer because it's full of stuff that doesn't digest easily. One is very pure while the other meets the nutritional requirements for a baby, but is not of the same highest quality.

A few questions for you:
    - Can you tell us your baby's weights at birth and the check ups?
    -Did you by any chance get IV fluids in your labor? These can cause you to gain water weight and the baby also gains water weight. Then the baby seems to lose a ton of weight and gain very slowly, so often doctors will say your supply is low.
    -Have you been pumping when your feed your baby formula?

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Congratulations on your baby! I'm sure more knowledgeable people will jump in, but could you clarify whether you're still supplementing with formula? From your post it sounds like the formula is the obvious culprit, not your milk at all.
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

Welcome Monica! if you are supplementing with formula, you will need to pump to keep your supply up. Are you doing this? Galactagogues alone are not going to increase supply much unless mom is having the milk removed regularly, effectively and frequently. (At least 10 times in a 24 hour day.) This does not mean you have to pump every feeding, I mean you have to pump everytime you give a supplemental feeding (or as much as you can if that much pumping is not possible.) Also you would want to be using a very good pump, preferably a hospital grade rental pump.

How are you supplementing, and how much? At each feeding? just occasionally? Before nursing, or after? were you given any instruction on this?

When you say baby only gained 3 oz in the first 2 weeks, was that measured by baby's LOWEST weight, or birth weight? Breastfed babies usually lose some weight in the first few days after birth, as much as 5-10% of birth weight, and this is usually expected and just fine. This occurs especially if they were born in the hospital and/or mom had any birth interventions (epidural etc.) Due to this, the general rule of thumb for good weight gain is that baby is back up to birth weight by about 2 weeks. So if your baby was 3 oz over birth weight by 2 weeks, that would indicate baby was doing well weight gain wise, unless there is something else going on. Baby wanting to nurse very frequently-at LEAST 12 times a day-(often much more) is normal and appropriate. Besides weight gain, The best way to tell if a bay is getting enough breastmilk is by how frequently they are pooping. Behavior is a poor indicator as it is normal for young babies to be fussy and want to nurse and be held most of the time for comfort and food.

If baby only gained 3 ounces from his lowest weight, that may have indicated either low milk supply or poor milk transfer. Some babies nurse frequently but are not getting much milk even when it is there. Is nursing comfortable for you? Was there a time it was not? Did you ever have breastfeeding assessd by a lactation expert (a board certified lactation consultant?) Mommas are made to make plenty of milk for their babies. Hormomes after birth trigger the early milk production so it is actually quite rare for a mom to simply not have enough milk, especially that early. So if breastfeeding is not giving baby enough, the first reccomendation should be that breastfeeding is assessed by a qualified breastfeeding helper, not that formula is given. However, since relatively few doctors have a good idea of how to help mothers in such circumstances, they often will just suggest formula supplementation without attempting to solve the issue in a more breastfeeding supportive way. Even when babies do need supplementation, breastfeeding should be supported as well.

Fussyness and gassyness are normal in ALL babies. They are born with very immature digestive systems. Formula given in the early weeks will often increase the likelyhood of intestinal issues because it interferes with the normal biological process of preparing the gut for normal digestion that breastmilk promotes. If you are supplementing with formula, it is far more likely that that is causing gassyness than your breastmilk, no matter what you are eating.

If a baby is truly having issues due to your diet, the most common irritant is dairy. If you are using a cow milk based formula, then it does not make sense to cut out dairy from your own diet. It is generally thought that the second most common irritant is wheat and gluten. But please do not eliminate these things from your diet when the most likely culprit is the formula. Unless there are severe gastrointestinal issues (often indicated by blood in stools) this is all likely just normal.

Here is a nice article about what is normal and expected with a breastfeeding baby in the early weeks: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html