Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what should i do if..

Default what should i do if..

my baby is a month and 12 days old and i have been breastfeeding the whole time, Just recently she keeps spitting the breast out frequently and making sounds like there is too much milk coming out too fast. Should I pump a couple ounces every hour or before i feed her. i can pumpm anywhere from 6-8 ounces or more each sitting. I have pumped 8 ounces and fed her right after before so I know I have enough milk too i just need help&advice!!

Default Re: what should i do if..

Oh, gosh, it sounds like you have a lot of milk! If your daughter is having difficulty with it, it would probably be more helpful for you to try block feeding rather than pumping. Pumping is going to tell your body that it needs to make more milk, but block feeding will tell it that less is needed. Alternatively, you can let your initial letdown go into a towel and then feed her after your milk has slowed down. But, either way, pumping is probably adding to the difficulty rather than easing it right now.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Sounds like over supply. Why are you pumping? NO you shouldnt pump before. That will increase your over supply problems. Cut your pumping to only when you are unbearably engorged, your baby will not nurse and ONLY pump enough to be comfortable. Your body will quickly adjust.

I agree with the above posters. Maybe read this and see if it applies to you: http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Your milk might regulate around 6 to 12 weeks. I was overproducing and had a fast overactive letdown. We are at 7 weeks and milk is pretty much regulated. I actually feel deflated at times and can only pump a few ounces. You seem to be producing a lot more than me so it may take a lot longer. When your baby gets bigger she may actually enjoy it.

We all seem to worry about too little or too much milk. I don't know about you all but I get tired of worrying.

Agree with PPs. I had OS and OALD -- hand expressed some into a burp cloth until the flow slowed enough for my LO to handle. As he has gotten bigger, we've been able to handle the flow better. I never did actual block feeding -- but did nurse on just one side per nursing session. For us, that solved the problem. Based on the amount you say you're able to produce, block feeding might be needed though. Check out the kellymom link above, for sure!
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Agree with PPs! look at the kellymom site. There's lots of good info there!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

This sounds like possibly overactive letdown and possibly oversupply. But as a PP mentioned, some oversupply at this time is normal. OALD and oversupply are only a problem if they are a problem-if they cause baby to not enjoy nursing at the breast or to have intestinal discomfort.

I suggest reading the kellymom article and, if you agree it seems like oald, trying the techniques for helping bb handle the flow, let baby "finish the first breast first" even if it means only nursing on one side per feeding, and nurse frequently-yes, this helps! and stop pumping or dial that way back. See if this will help enough before going to block feeding which will reduce supply (and is sometimes needed for true oversupply.)

We all seem to worry about too little or too much milk. I don't know about you all but I get tired of worrying.
    -jenanay

I think this is a good place for a mom to be. Some worry is normal of course, part of being an attentive mother. But we are encouraged to not trust ourselves when we grow up with misleading messages about infant feeding and we are often innundated with so much out and out hogwash about breastfeeding & babies its no wonder we are confused. But if a mom is tired of worrying, she may stop worrying so much and start trusting more in herself, her body, her instincts and her baby. I think its easy to forget that breastfeeding is normal, and it is how humans have succesfully fed their babies for all of human history.