Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I doing this right?

Default Am I doing this right?

So we are getting much better at breastfeeding as of yesterday, my DD is 11 days old. Question, LC said to empty one breast before going to the next one vs what the hospital said about doing 10-15 mins on each breast. Question is, when she only takes one breast, the second can not be emptied for a few hours and it gets hard/full. Is this OK? Should I had express a bit? I don't want to get clogged ducts, etc. Thanks for your help!!

Default Am I doing this right?

So we are getting much better at breastfeeding as of yesterday, my DD is 11 days old. Question, LC said to empty one breast before going to the next one vs what the hospital said about doing 10-15 mins on each breast. Question is, when she only takes one breast, the second can not be emptied for a few hours and it gets hard/full. Is this OK? Should I had express a bit? I don't want to get clogged ducts, etc. Thanks for your help!!

Default Re: Am I doing this right?

That is ok. Start with the full one Don't watch the clock.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Do whatever feels most natural. If baby will nurse again sooner than a few hours, I would do that. If you want to hand express on the very full side, just to comfort, that is OK-you just don't want to pump or hand express forever and unnaturally increase your milk supply. Just make your breast comfortable for yourself, because it is important to avoid engorgement. The best way to avoid engorgement is to encourage very frequent feedings, but sometimes a baby cannot keep up when the supply is doing gangbusters as it will in these early days and then I think a little hand expressing to soften the breast is fine. Your supply will even out after a few weeks and you will not longer feel that super-full feeling.

Also, I don't think you LC meant for you to worry about "emptying" the first breast, as lactating breasts are never actually empty. The way LLL has always put this idea, is "let baby finish the first breast first." Usually a baby will nurse on one side until the flow slows, and then if they want more milk (rather than more comfort) they may go to the other side for a top off and that is fine. It is also fine for baby to stay at one side for an entire nursing session. But the idea is to let BABY decide, not the clock. Baby instinctually knows what to do.

I went with what felt best -- nursing on one side per session. When the other side got engorged or uncomfortable -- I would offer LO the breast, even if he didn't seem hungry. And yes, I would wake him up to do so. If LO only nursed briefly ...no problem (usually it was long enough to get rid of the overly full feeling).
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!