Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple question

Default Nipple question

I just noticed this afternoon that my left nipple (the very tip only, not the entire nipple) looks like it's been sucked inward making it look like just a line. It's only like that when I first take it out to breastfeed though, so my nipple isn't even erect. As soon as I squeeze/pinch it, it pops back out.
    The entire 25-1/2mths that I bf DD1 I NEVER had that happen no matter how tight or loose my bra or tops are. This is the first time I've ever noticed that happen.
    DD2 doesn't really like that side, and I've noticed that when I have letdowns that side doesn't spray out like the other side does and seems to be my under producer, but then again, my right side has always been over-achiever

Is this normal? I'm freaking out because the first thing that comes to mind are bad things like breast cancer
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Default Re: Nipple question

Is it like that between feeds if you don't wear a bra? Or only after being in the bra?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Is it like it became inverted?
    July 27 2011

Yes, it's after being in my tops but I don't wear bras (very prone to clogged ducts) I wear loose-fitting nursing tops. Around the house I always have little towels/wash clothes shoved in my tops to catch my letdowns and leakage, but I've ALWAYS done this even when I bf DD1 and I've never had my nipple do that. Normally, when my nipples are compressed by clothing they'll be pressed upward or downward and as soon as I give them room or remove the clothing they'll standing back up on their own pointing forward. This entire time they're not hard or anything like when you get cold or anything. As soon as I squeeze it it'll become rounded at the tip again instead of looking like a line. Facing me it normally looks like this: O and this is how I noticed it looking today: -
    From what I've found on the computer it's considered "retracted". We're trying to find out or find any information about whether this is could be caused by bfing, but can't find much:/
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

I'd mention this to your GP. It's probably nothing, but changes in breast tissue should always get a mention.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

"Nipples can also become inverted due to breastfeeding when scar tissue distorts the milk ducts, shortening them and pulling the tip of the nipple inward. Nipple inversion also occurs in males, but more rarely." Found that at http://www.drmosser.com/InvertedNippleCorrection.

Not sure if that helps
    July 27 2011

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zorkycharlemagne View Post
    "Nipples can also become inverted due to breastfeeding when scar tissue distorts the milk ducts, shortening them and pulling the tip of the nipple inward. Nipple inversion also occurs in males, but more rarely." Found that at http://www.drmosser.com/InvertedNippleCorrection.

Not sure if that helps
    Thank you so much. That was very helpful and exactly the type of info DH & I were looking for. Especially since any breast change is nothing to be taken lightly.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

I'd still see the doc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I asked the doctor today since I went to see him about my mastitis and he said since it happened only 1 time, on the day that I got really engorged, and hasn't happened again, that it most likely was a duct that was damaged and retracted my nipple. He did say that if I notice it happen again without any possible culprits (injuring my boob in any way, getting engorged leading to clogged ducts, overdoing in activities, etc) or any sudden changes to definitely seek further examination.
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; December 30th, 2011 at 11:47 PM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13