Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful Breast

Default Painful Breast

I'm having trouble with an extremely tender spot on my breast. It feels like a really bad bruise or a plugged duct, but there aren't any lumps, swelling, or redness. I'm currently nursing an 11 month old who is recovering from the stomach flu, so she barely ate anything for a day (I pumped a couple of times) and now she's back to nursing exclusively. She usually eats lots of solids but hasn't started them back up yet. Any ideas about what this could be and how I can make it feel better?

Default Re: Painful Breast

Probably a plug. Nurse, nurse nurse. Hot pack. Massage. Water therapy. Pain control. It will feel better soon.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

And stay alert for symptoms of mastitis: chills, fever, aches and pains, increased tenderness in the breast, redness or red streaks. If you see some or all of those symptoms, you probably want to see the doctor.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hot showers work well, & they make you feel better. massage while standing under the hot water & try to express some milk, then nurse the baby right after you get out of the shower.

with all the advice. I just wanted to add that I've had plugged ducts without being able to feel a lump. I think it depends on where the plug is. One time I almost didn't realize I had a plug except for the pain. And I never have swelling or redness with my ducts. So, it might still be a plug without all those other signs.

Also want to second the hot shower advice. Sometimes I take several a day, before nursing, and it really helps.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

A plug can be deep down, too far to feel a lump, or it can just be tender with no lump. Keep massaging the heck out of that spot while nursing, and under hot water, as often as possible. I've been known to nurse the clogged side and pump the other side just to keep putting the baby back on that side as often as possible.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I actually have mastitis/clogged duct now. I have been massaging, hot soaks, heating pad, castor oil hot packs to the area and nursing every 2-3 hours. I am also on antibiotics (which I hate) three times daily they were initally twice daily, but the infection got worse. I initally could not feel the lump, it was just red and painful. Now there is a lump and it is really sore. Though I am not sure if the soreness is from the clogged area or all my "aggressive" massaging! It is a terrible feeling. this is my 4th go round with this mess. Nurse your baby in several different positions each time you put him/her on the affected breast as well.