Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pep Talk

Default Pep Talk

I am posting stricktly to feel supported. My son is 6 1/2 months old and I have "hit the wall" I think. Not with breastfeeding, PUMPING! I have been feeding him exclusively with BM both nursing and pumping while I am at work. He is off and on striking and will only really feed laying down and that's after about 5 min of crying and trying to get away from me and then will latch on and be so content and happy. No idea what that's about (but that's a different post). I am so tired of pumping. I think I am secretly sabotaging myself by "forgetting" to pump. I missed a session today at work but I never missed before! What the heck??

Can I truly do this 5 1/2 more months?? Yikes! Am I a horrible mother for even feeling like this?
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

Default Re: Pep Talk

Ugh. That doesn't sound fun at all!

As far as hitting the pumping wall, we've all been there. You just have to take it one day at a time. There will be ups and downs with pumping just like there are with nursing. How you feel about it today doesn't necessarily reflect next week, you know?

I know you asked solely for support, but have you replaced the membranes on your pump recently? I think some of the six to nine month slump in output is caused by parts wearing out. Not that this will make you any less TIRED of pumping, but it could help you pump more effectively.

As far as the striking, is there any chance you could take a couple days off of work, and just go back to EBF'ing? Just don't offer any alternatives to the breast, ever. Your baby might "remember" how great nursing is and do a bit better with it. (Another common cause of striking is an ear infection or sore throat - probably not an issue, but I have to mention it, because Joe pulled a major strike on me, and I thought he was just being ornery, and I felt pretty bad when I found out he was in pain. )

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

hang in there mama YOU CAN DO IT!!! another 5.5 months is not so long. i cannot stand pumping either, but as joesmom said there are ups and downs and right now you are having a particularly downy day, don't jeopardize your nursing relationship b/c pumping stinks. sounds like you are having a double whammy since your lo is giving you trouble at the breast as well as being tired of the pump. stick with it tomorrow (or maybe next week) will be better
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

When i am in the midst of something i hate as much as i hated ep-ing, i ask myself, everyday, "do i want to quit today, or can i do this one more day?" Remember it's ok if you do quit -- no one will love you less. Formula is not the end of the world. But if you really want to ensure you aren't tempted, print out a list of the ingredients in formula. That way you can measure one last day of pumping against feeding your baby that -- and then each additional day of pumping will be a heroic act!

I also agree with pp about a day off. Maybe you need more rewards for pumping, too. Like a gift for yourself at the end of every week, or a day y ou take off for bf and watching movies. It's hard work!
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

Of course, no one is making you pump at work. Some women would choose not to, and I wouldn't judge them. But as someone who did pump for that year ... I can say, I felt an amazing sense of accomplishment and pride knowing that my child had gotten breast milk all that time. That although I had to leave him to go to work, he at least had that. And for me, knowing how important it was and would be to me later, that's what kept me going through the hard times (because pumping is hard - and saying so doesn't make you a bad mom! it just is!). While I suppose it's fine not to meet your goals, usually that would happen because of some unforeseen circumstances. I know it was important to me to hit that 12 month mark.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Of course, no one is making you pump at work. Some women would choose not to, and I wouldn't judge them. But as someone who did pump for that year ... I can say, I felt an amazing sense of accomplishment and pride knowing that my child had gotten breast milk all that time. That although I had to leave him to go to work, he at least had that. And for me, knowing how important it was and would be to me later, that's what kept me going through the hard times (because pumping is hard - and saying so doesn't make you a bad mom! it just is!). While I suppose it's fine not to meet your goals, usually that would happen because of some unforeseen circumstances. I know it was important to me to hit that 12 month mark.

It was no picnic, but I was so proud and happy when I got to the 12 month mark of pumping at work FT. I know the wall is awful. I KNOW. BTDT. Do you have a hands free? That is the only thing that helped me survive, I swear! That and reading this forum while I pumped. I know it's hard.

I don't judge if people choose not to pump, but it was so important for me and for my daughter. It made me feel like I was there for her while she was at DCP because she had MY milk.

Vent, scream, gripe and whine all you want to us, mama. I know it's hard. I know you can do whatever you put your mind to, though.

And, yes, if you start skipping sessions - that's how the slippery slope starts. I had a friend who told me once she would skip one, she would skip two and then all of them. It was just easier and easier not to do it. Then she couldn't maintain her supply and her baby was on formula at 6 months. Which is fine if that's what you want. But if it's not what you want - well...

I know it's hard. But I believe in you.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I just made a post on this subject. I am on the other side; 6 months ago I was thinking, there is no way I can pump for this exact amount of time again, but Tuesday was the last day I pumped. I know you can make it too, if it's what you want. Because I totally had the support of everyone to start formula at 6 months, and it would have been soooooo easy to. But not much longer (I know it doesn't seem that way now) and you can put that thing away.

Thank you all! That really helped!! (sometimes you just need support from people who "get it" you know?)
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

You can do it!!!!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97