Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: **Need help and advice**

Default Re: **Need help and advice**

Sounds like the pumping you are doing is either not effective or is not yet effective. Do you have a hospital-grade pump with correctly sized shields? When trying to increase supply via pumping you want the best pump available. No manual pumps or cheap electric pumps!

I am also that you want to put your baby to the breast and nurse. Use the shield if necessary, but try to find a way to keep the baby at the breast even if it's only part time and even if you must continue to supplement via bottle. Breastfeeding will get easier if you stick with it, I promise! I had horrible cracks and low supply with my first baby, and I went on to nurse her for 3 years.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My concern is that I literally have no supply of milk and my little one has been eating anywhere from 2.5-3 ozs of formula every 3-4 hrs since Monday. I was figuring that if I was able to get my supply up by pumping I could then attempt to put her back on the breast and hopefully avoid her being frustrated with the flow of milk. I have already seen the pump pull my nipples out a bit which is great. I just know that with my oldest daughter (now 9) once she got the bottle it was a horrible fight to try and get her to accept the breast. Once the pediatrician made me feed her formula in a bottle I felt like I was defeated again with breast feeding!

I totally understand why you'd want to create a milk supply first and then try to get the baby to the breast. It's very logical. But it's an idea with a big flaw: the longer the baby is not on the breast, the more chance there is that she will forget how to latch on and get addicted to the bottles.

So what you really want to do is to work the problem from both ends simultaneously: get the baby to nurse at the same time you are increasing supply. Nursing is good for milk supply, since babies tend to empty the breast even better than the pump- though when a baby has a poor latch this may not be the case, in which case we'll do our best to help you work on your latch! Nursing is also good for the baby, because the more time she spends at the breast the better her latching skills will become, and the more she will associate the breast with food and comfort.

I am so sorry you felt defeated by your pediatrician's advice. No-one wants to struggle to nurse. But you're not alone in struggling- nursing may be natural but that doesn't make it easy. You're doing a great job! Just keep on pumping and put the baby to the breast as much as possible.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You can always try to get her to suck after she has eaten an ounce or two, so that neither of you are on edge. It sounds funny, but in a similar situation I found it useful to think of it as figuring our how to get the nursing to seduce my LO. How could I make it as wonderful for him as possible? Nursing for comfort was our ticket -- nursing for food came after (I was pumping). Nursing after your LO is asleep may help, if you can get her to suck. Also, absolutely no pacifiers if you want her to nurse! Throw them out now! Make your boob her paci for the time being. At least that advice helped me... Good luck!
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

There is a method called Finish at the Breast you should look up. Because nipple preference is real, you do not want baby associating a bottle with food. So you can phase out bottles by doing this.

A baby will bring in your supply way faster than any pump I have to pump for my youngest, born unable to nurse. Normally, by the time my baby is a few days old, I have lots of milk. Not so this time, where I started pumping when my baby was a couple days old (I tried to nurse exclusively). It was some days before I had a decent milk supply, even with a top of the line brand new hospital grade pump.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!