Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **Need help and advice**

Exclamation **Need help and advice**

Hello Ladies,

I am new here, but am hopeful that you can help me. My baby is 8 days old. I have nipple issues and was using a shield through day 4. Then I went to her Dr. appt and she had lost 12% of her body weight and they said I had to feed her formula around the clock every 2 hrs. She was then weight checked the next day and had gained 6ozs. Needless to say I was heart broken, she had had a few rough nights(day 2 & 3) of screaming and shaking her mouth at the breast so my husband said let's just do formula. Well I have been doing that, but yesterday I decided that although it just isn't working to nurse I can still pump. So here is my dilema. I started pumping yesterday afternoon around every 2 hrs. How do I get my supply up? The first time I pumped I got about 2 ozs, but that was from me not doing anything for days. Now when I pump I just get drops to maybe 1/2 oz total. Please help me! I really want to pump for her. I did exclusively pump with my 2nd daughter for 6 months and produced a lot of milk, but that was with me pumping from the get go. Thank you in advance for any info.

Default Re: **Need help and advice**

I think you should nurse, NOT pump. It is much much harder to pump for subsequent kids. It is hard enough when you have just one child.madd 2-3-4 in there....and it is difficult. Has just about destroyed my family.

I would suggest that you nurse. The fussiness coud be nipple preference. Happens that fast.

Dr. Newman has some interesting research that shows just about all babies will nurse if mom keeps trying.

ETA: oops, posted too soon. Pump every 2 hours around the clock. Shoot for 120 minutes in 24 hours. It takes time, and don't get frustrated and give up. It takes at least a week for me to rebuild my supply when I notice it going down. A pump isn't as good as a baby.

I would suggest a hospital grade pump, NOT the one younhadnwith your first baby. It is likely worn out.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

The PP supplied excellent links. Definitely take a look at them!

Will your baby nurse at all? If so, I strongly suggest putting her to the breast as often as possible. You absolutely do not want to get stuck exclusively pumping. So much work!

Can you tell us what sort of "nipple issues" you were experiencing that caused you to use the shield? We may be able to help you solve them, and prevent problems from recurring as you transition back to nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would also suggest investing in a one-on-session with a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, who can help you come up with a strategy for pumping AND for getting your baby back on the breast. They will be able to troubleshoot any nipples issues, etc., in person, in a way that we can't here. Some insurance covers LCs, but even if yours doesn't, it will still be a lot cheaper than a year of formula!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I have flat nipples and they became cracked & sore from her just being on the nipple at the hospital. A LC did come in a few hours before we left and ended up having me put on the shield as baby wouldn't latch w/o it. I had her on the breast all the time for days, but once she went to the Dr.'s on Mon. they were super concerned about her significant weight loss. Is there a possibility that what I am pumping is colostrum? It is super yellow and thick. I was only 4 days PP when I stopped nursing. I am now 8 days PP. Thank you again for all your help!

Hi, just want to quickly add that, if by "nipple issues" you mean inverted or flat nipples, you can still nurse. I swear I have the worst nursing nips on the planet and we were able to get it eventually -- though it took ongoing work with three different LCs to get it right! We were also struggling with bottle preference. We used the "RAM" technique ultimately (rapid arm movement), along with " nipple sandwich" and every possible hold. Do get some hands on help. In fact, get lots of it!
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

Super thick and yellow is colostrum, and by 8 days PP it should be transitional milk, which is thinner. it is still yellow, but it looks different. I just thawed some milk I froze when my fourth baby was 9 days old, and it is not as thick as what I was pumping before that, but it is a different color and slightly different consistency from what I pump currently.

I am concerned you are not effectively pumping or nursing. I could be wrong, but...

In light of that, you NEED an IBCLC for hands on help. Yes, it's probably $80-200 for a visit (at least that is what it can cost in my area) but a month's worth of formula will cost that much. It sounds like you have a latch problem. And FWIW, I had inverted nipples and managed to successfully breastfeed my first after a very rough start Don't do what I did, which was tough it out on my own.

Second FWIW, my nipples always become very sore when I have a new baby. Babies have such small mouths. The latch is shallow as a result. It hurts, but after about a week, things improve a great deal. I tell myself to hang in there.

Colostrum is good milk though so don't get frustrated. You can do it.
    Susan

Are you thinking I am not pumping properly due to the amount/colostrum I am getting? I have done no nursing or pumping since Monday. Should I be getting milk now that I am pumping every 2 hours? I am pumping for 20 mins every 2 hours and drinking Mother's Milk Tea. Thanks for being patient with me!

I'm thinking you are not draining your breasts so you are still getting colostrum. It could be transitional milk, but the thickness makes me wonder. Keep nursing. Keep pumping. I would strongly suggest nursing, NOT EPing. Nursing gets easier. Pumping never will. And with another child, the system is much more complicated.
    Susan