Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BLS fail? Or am I just defensive?

Default BLS fail? Or am I just defensive?

So my ds is a chunk. At 8 mos he was still ebf because I was intent on BLS and he could never get the food to his mouth, and would spit it out if it did. He would suck on apples until he had diarrhea and gum bananas, but nothing else. Oh, & he would freak out about water, which he wanted to drink from my cup since 6 mos. But at 26.5 lbs, he was eating me out of my own skin. I would eat a huge meal and be hungry again before i was finished with the dishes. He has always been a frequent nurser, but at 8 mos it was every hour. That's a lot of nursing sessions, esp with a highly distracted baby! So i did the thing I never thought I would do: I bought baby cereal! And he loved it! Within a week he was eating all kinds of smashed up foods. It could not have happened too soon at that point: Im now convinced the boy was as starving as I was. He still gets baby cereal several days a week with yogurt and fruit, and I think it's a godsend. Thankfully nursing is finally manageable again at every two hours (for the first time I actually get some three hour blocks now, which is like a week's vacation)

I wanted to share this story bc I think it's easy to let ideals get in the way. there's so much talk about BLS, but I think it's important to stay tuned in to what your child needs over any ideal. Plus everyone talks smack about baby cereal, and I feel a little defensive for it!
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

Default Re: BLS fail? Or am I just defensive?

Honestly, I don't think that is a BLS fail. To me, that sounds normal for a baby of that age to not be able to get food to their mouth. Now that he gets the idea, try giving some Cheerios or other firm, decent sized food and see what happens. It's a process.

Don't be defensive. Your child is your responsibility.

But baby cereal .... There are other, healthier, less processed options but some babies like it, and that is OK too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with the PP. BLS works for some babies. Spoon-feeding works for others. It's not a fail either way.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't think it's a fail

I would switch the baby cereal for something else like oatmeal, mashed sweet potato, steamed pureed fruits etc., because baby cereal doesn't contain many nutrients.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Baby cereal is completely processed and is not a LLL recommended first food. Those things are true. It's not talking smack, it's talking fact. But if it's working for your family why are you feeling defensive? The number one rule here is "take what works for you and leave the rest."

Way too lazy for formula

we didn't do 100% BLS but we didn't do infant cereal either. LOL

I did make some purees for my son, and he ate them sometimes along with gumming other stuff till 8ish months when I felt comfortable completely doing baby led solids. I didn't feel like the cereal had any nutritional benefit but I also didn't feel like he was going to suffer all kinds of ill fate because I spoon fed him pureed sweet potatoes....
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Thanks, everyone. I'm laughing at my late night post (i've been up nights with asick baby for a week now and clearly reading too many parenting blogs, which always make me feel insufficient.) i appreciate the flexible interpretations of bls. Of course, at 10 mos now he eats almost everything -- last night, for instance, it was a surprise (for me) enthusiasm for farro risotto with mushrooms. And yes, i do make him oatmeal, 10 grain cereal,etc etc. So what do you all do re iron? We have to be concerned about it, i guess, since we missed the last month in utero, and he wont eat enough of those iron rich foods -- amazingly, one veg he still wont touch is avocado! Dr suggested cream of wheat... Really, re cereal, some days I'm just lazy (or, to be fair, trying to work) and when he's *still* hungry, out comes the cereal. (brown, of course) When hes older, it will be annie's mac and cheese days...but i do admire all of you who make all of your food from scratch!
    Kate

The iron in cereal is actually not bioavailable. So I don't actually worry about it. Breastmilk, while "low" in iron, is about 100% bioavailable. Not one of my kids has ever had low iron.

ETA: I dnt make baby food. Baby eats what we eat
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Before you sweat the iron-rich food thing, I think it makes sense to have the baby tested so you know his iron status. Thar way you know whether or not you need to worry.

If there's problem, you can solve it in the following ways:
    - iron rich foods (meats are actually a great starter food, and are very BLS-friendly when shredded and boiled, and also make good purees)
    - baby vitamins
    - iron supplement
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, MommaL, for the suggestion. I have thought about having him tested, since I am pretty consistently anemic. We are vegetarians, and my husband -- the cook in the family -- is adamantly against giving LO meat (and, having not eaten meat in decades myself, I'm not really sure how one does it anyhow.) I've been on supplements for myself for years.

Thanks for all the good suggestions everyone!
    Kate