Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decreasing milk production

Unhappy Decreasing milk production

I recently had an IUD put in and got my period about a week later. Since then I feel that my milk production has decreased. My old routine was feeding 1-2 times during the night, then pumping in the morning when I wake up, then again in the middle of the day and before I go to bed at night. In between pumping I would either BF my LO or bottle feed what I had pumped that day. I was pumping about 20-25 oz a day and would freeze half of that (saving for when I went back to work). Now I am still feeding 1-2 times during the night and pumping when I get up, but during the day I am only pumping about 10 oz. still BFing in between pumping. Is the decrease in milk production due to my period? How can I get my supply back to what I had before?

Default Re: Decreasing milk production

How old is your baby? A supply decrease before your period is normal, but should be temporary (just a day or two each cycle). But 20-25 ounces, in ADDITION to breastfeeding your baby, is a HUGE amount of milk, which would probably qualify as "oversupply." Most babies drink about 24 oz of milk a day, TOTAL, so that's a huge amount to be pumping if you're also nursing. This could just be your supply evening out a bit to meet your baby's demands better, rather than a true decrease. After all, it sounds like you are still making more than what your baby actually eats. While oversupply sounds like a good thing, it can actually make babies pretty gassy and fussy. What you want is to make what your baby eats, no more (or only a little more), no less.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

He is 2 months... and he eats 3-4 ounces every 2-3 hours. Of course i'm not sure how much when he nurses, but that's how much I give him when I bottle feed.

This totally happened to a friend of mine. She had tandem nursed three times successfully, but she got a Mirena IUD and lost her supply very quickly. Her marriage was falling apart at the time, so she didn't want to risk pregnancy at all, so removal was not an option.

However, it sounds like you had a HUGE OS. And it is becoming more normal. So I would watch and see what happens.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

How often are you bottle-feeding every day? And what sort of IUD did you choose? Mirena is advertised as breastfeeding-friendly but some moms find it sinks their supply very rapidly.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I bottle feed about 1-2 times a day... but it depends on what I am doing, or if the LO doesn't seem satisfied after BFing, i'll follow up with a bottle. I got the Mirena IUD bc my MW said it was a good one. Should I get the IUD taken out?

If you feel like it's affecting your supply, then yes.

I would keep bottles to a minimum right now. If you get into a pattern where you're topping up with a bottle whenever baby seems unsatisfied, you can rapidly get into a situation where the baby comes to expect a nice, easy bottle at the conclusion of the feeding. Pretty soon you're topping up after every feeding, and then you end up with supply problems because baby isn't nursing well at the breast and because the pump isn't as good at maintaining supply as a nursing baby. This isn't something that WILL happen, just something that MIGHT happen. I think it makes sense to try to avoid the risk, if possible.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"