Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doctor trying to put baby on formula !

Angry doctor trying to put baby on formula !

i am a new breastfeeding mother and need help my son is 4 months old and fullybreastfeeding , his doctor says he is not gaining enough weight and is trying to put him on formula and baby cereal . this is not what i perfer but i want to do the right thing for my baby he was born 8'10 left the hospital 8'3 is now 10'10 he gained 7 oz in the last two weeks very happy and content goes to the bathroom after each feeding . i am trying very hard to do the right thing for him but i dont want him to be starving

Default Re: doctor trying to put baby on formula

Do you happen to know if the doc is using the formula fed infant growth chart or the breastfed baby chart? Reason being is that looking at that may make a doc lean on way but then looking at the "right" chart may make them lean the other way.

Breastmilk is best, NOT solids. Feeding solids actually can slow growth. They make baby feel full, but have fewer calories ounce for ounce than mama milk.

I would suggest finding a new doctor and getting a second opinion.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

thank you

Another thing to try well before switching baby to formula and solids is adding in as many extra nursing sessions per day as baby will take. Your milk really is the healthiest food for him, so if he needs more, let it come from you.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

he eats alot and when ever he is hungry i feed him ;; he is extreamly active ! i have no support with breast feeding from home and the doctor is just making it harder.

Try a 2nd opinion. Contact a local LLL leader to see if they have any suggestions for a Breast Feeding friendly pediatrician. Some doctors are not very knowledgeable with breastfed babies and it helps to have one that is.

In my opinion, I think the baby is growing fine. Especially since he is happy and having good diaper output. I would try more nursing sessions and NOT try any formula.
    July 27 2011

You can download the World Health Organization growth charts which are based on breast feeding here:
    http://www.who.int/entity/childgrowt...boys_p_0_6.pdf
    If the charts the doctor are using don't match these, he's using the wrong ones to map your baby's growth.

Please find another doctor that is breastfeeding knowledgeable and supportive.

How often is your baby nursing each day and for how long?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

he ussually nurces from 20 minutes - an hour . when he is finished he looks up and smiles and is content and happy till his next feeding the doctor says she shouldnt be able to see his ribs. i am going to get a new pedatrician. thank you for all of the support ladies this is a great site.

It sounds like your baby is doing just fine. Babies grow at different rates, so I would also suggest getting a second opinion AND follow your mama instincts.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aguerriero View Post
    he eats alot and when ever he is hungry i feed him ;; he is extreamly active ! i have no support with breast feeding from home and the doctor is just making it harder.
    I feel for you, mama! I have plenty of support from home but still come here all the time. Keep coming here- the women here are fantastic and incredibly supportive!

And I agree with everyone else- if baby is gaining, filling diapers, meeting milestones, and seems happy overall, you're doing great!
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again