Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing strike? At a loss.

Default Nursing strike? At a loss.

I have an almost nine month old little boy who suddenly seems to be refusing the breast during the day. I'm at a loss . . .

My regular schedule was: nurse twice during the night and once at wake up or before breakfast, before lunch and then again to nap, before dinner, and then again to sleep at night. So that was 7 times in a 24 hour period that I offered the breast. He didn't always want every nursing, his daytime nursings were often very short, and he would often seem to just have a little snack of milk. It's hard for me to tell because he has always been a very fast nurser.

Anyway, about a week and a half ago, his temperment changed. He's still my little sweetie pie, of course, , but he also has become more opinionated about his mealtimes, his naptimes, and now his nursings. I know that this is totally normal, but I am concerned about the nursings. He still nurses well in the middle of the night and first thing in the morning, but he is refusing to be nursed before meal times and today he fought me on nursing him to sleep for his nap. He arches his back and cries and turns away from me.

When at home (and I am home a lot), I move him to a dark quiet room to nurse because he has become increasingly distracted. I wear a necklace that he likes to hold on to while nursing. I offer the breast instead of waiting for him to ask. He has never had formula and I offer him only small amounts of water occasionally. He's soiling his diapers well, but his wet diapers seem to have slightly reduced. I should also mention that he is not a very big boy, at 25th percentile, and I'm worried that if this keeps up my doctor is going to ask me to supplement when I see her next week.

I wonder if some of this is from all of the holiday excitement and the house guests. He seems to be more eager to join in with the family meals than to nurse.

I am not sure how many times a day I should be nursing him for him to have adequate nutrition. I am a bit at a loss with this because my daughter nursed eagerly until she was almost three and never ever fought a nursing. So, I am really just at a loss here!

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Nursing strike? At a loss.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html has more info than I could ever give but we personally went through this for 5 months straight and it was very difficult but most infants do not strike that long so I'm not trying to say that to worry you but just say yes I know it's tough. Keep offering when he's really sleepy (not tired and ready to sleep but like you're doing in the middle of the night and during nap times or when he first starts to still at nap time). I would really look at his energy level for nutrition. If he's playing and has energy to move around and seems fine, moist mouth, he's probably getting enough. If he starts to seem sleepier than maybe yes he's needing more. Hang in there.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.