Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give a bottle before bed?

Default Give a bottle before bed?

My 7 month old is throwing me for a loop. I love nursing her...however, she is giving me a much harder time than DD1 did. That's OK, I know things could be worse.

So...the main issue seems to be with our nursing session before I put her to bed. She used to sleep through the night (from about 8 weeks old to about 5 months old) and then she stopped, suddenly. I understand that this could be from a variety of reasons (teething, milestones, etc.), but I wanted to figure out how to get some shut-eye. There were many nights that I slept for 2-3 hours total and then had to go to work. Reviewing legal documents is never fun when you can barely keep your burning eyes open. I do realize I am preaching to the choir, but I just have to whine a little, OK?

Anyway, the nursing session before bed has become a battle between DD2 and I. She keeps latching on and off (nursing 10-15 seconds in between) and then turning away, sucking on her fingers, crying, looking around, etc. We are in a quiet, dark room, same room we always nurse in before bed. I know she is hungry. I'm sure she is a bit over-tired sometimes, but she's been doing this regardless of how much sleep she has gotten. I've given Motrin for teeth; that makes no difference. I've tried different positions, singing to her, taking breaks, etc.

Last night, I was so annoyed, that I had DH give her a bottle (BM) and she sucked it down. SHE SLEPT ALL NIGHT!!!! That hasn't happened in months!! I'm starting to wonder if she's been going to bed hungry after she nurses. Should I just nurse all day and then give her a bottle before bed? I always pump after she goes to bed and after our first morning session. I'm making enough milk, so I'm not worried about supply at this point.

What do you think? Am I missing something? Thank you!
    Hi, I'm Jen, mommy to Victoria (5/24/09, self-weaned 11/1/10) and Gabrielle (5/20/11, still going strong!). Always and sometimes ...when will I stop? When Gabbi says so!

Nursing Gabbi for fourteen months and counting!

The ladies here have gotten me through some rough times!

Default Re: Give a bottle before bed?

Could your supply be low at that time, making her irritated about working to eat, she falls asleep and is hungry during the night?

If you do opt to give a bottle, pump instead.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I thought low supply could be an issue, originally, but I pumped 13 1/2 ounces last night after she "nursed." Maybe she's just too tired/irritable before bed and doesn't want to nurse? Our nursing sessions go on and on before bed and it's just making me crazy. She never falls asleep during them...I always made sure of that, so that she would actually nurse and not just comfort suck. My breasts always felt much softer after, but I guess that she's just not satisfied unless she has a bottle.
    Hi, I'm Jen, mommy to Victoria (5/24/09, self-weaned 11/1/10) and Gabrielle (5/20/11, still going strong!). Always and sometimes ...when will I stop? When Gabbi says so!

Overactive letdown maybe? That is a whole lot of milk!

I'd be worried about creating a situation though where you end up EPing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

That was my worry too...EPing! I know that you have to and give you soooo much credit. I just can't imagine all the work that takes. I really want to avoid that. Maybe I should just try to tough it out and deal with the frustrating before-bed session. Sigh.

At that age, DD2 stopped falling asleep at the breast. She'd nurse but still be awake. Rather than create WWIII we just put her back down on the folded comforter on the floor with a blanket and let her roll around. Eventually she'd just fall asleep on her own. It was strange but much less stress than wrestling with her to go to sleep for hours. Maybe she's just not tired yet and she's at a stage where she's finding nursing stimulating? DD2 taught me that the standard approach wasn't for everyone.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

IF a pumped bottle got you a full nights sleep I'd try it again. I would still TRY to nurse but if 10 minutes in it's not going well, send your DH in with a bottle. On the weekends when you can sleep in I'd still deal with it. But if you can get good sleep on work days, why not!?!

Way too lazy for formula

We ended up doing the same thing for a few weeks, due in part to nursing behavior like you describe, but primarily in reaction to the persistent pain I experience while nursing. Hubby would tank Bubs up with a bottle, he'd go right to sleep, and a few hours later with a hot pack I'd pump. If it works, do it!

IF a pumped bottle got you a full nights sleep I'd try it again. I would still TRY to nurse but if 10 minutes in it's not going well, send your DH in with a bottle. On the weekends when you can sleep in I'd still deal with it. But if you can get good sleep on work days, why not!?!

Right on. That's what I've decided to do. The past couple of nights, I'd nursed foreverrrrrr right before bed, and she'd still wake up around 2 or 3. Last night, I nursed for about 5 minutes (until she was no longer cooperative) and then DH gave her a bottle. I pumped after, of course. She slept until 5:30. Awesome!

Guess she's decided she needs more milk at night. I feel bad sending her to bed hungry for so long.

We used to do this for my son (give him a bottle of BM) for months... I would say until he was 5 or 6 months old. My husband ran the entire bedtime routine and it worked pretty well. I got sick of pumping at that time though, so I took over the bed time routine. Now I nurse him to sleep and it has worked out. However, when he turned around 7 months or so... maybe a little after that, he started really fussing at the breast at nighttime. I started nursing him in his room with the light on and then we'd let him play alone on the floor with some blocks for about 10 minutes or so. Then we would both come in and pick everything up, turn the light out and put him in bed. We have gone back to nursing to sleep but that method worked for a while.