Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crying baby

Default Crying baby

DD2 is 4 months old and exclusively breastfed. With my first daughter we let her cry it out at 6 months using the Ferber method. My 4 month old cries no matter what we do. Right now we bounce her to sleep or rock her. We've tried everything and she just cries and cries until she finally gives up and falls asleep then we lay her down in her crib. She is not on much of a schedule because I feed On Demand so its hard to schedule around that. Should I let her cry it out? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? My husband and I are at a loss.

She never falls asleep nursing and she refuses to take a pacifier. I've tried every single kind I've found.

She does have Acid Reflux and is on Zantac for it.

I wondered if a schedule could help just wasn't sure how to do it with her being exclusively breastfed. We are always always always holding her comforting her bouncing her when she is crying. I've tried the Moby wrap and a Seven Sling and a Swing. During the night I nurse her in bed with me but I don't Co Sleep as I feel it is unsafe. I sing to her, talk to her, pat her, try to feed her. She doesn't nurse to sleep. She eats and then is done. I have tried baths with lavender soap, getting in the bath with her, lots of skin time. I always get her as soon as she cries. I just wondered if crying it out would be better for her since she is crying as we are holding her anyway. I hate to let her cry it out this early or at all if I can help it. I try to listen to her needs and address them when she cries so she knows she doesn't need to cry unnecessarily. I just don't know what is best and could really use some input. TIA

Default Re: Crying baby

poor baby (and mommy)!
    maybe her doctor needs to adjust her reflux meds? as she's growing, her current dose may not be working anymore. you could try placing a slight incline under her mattress to help with her reflux as well. she could also be teething, in which case some ibuprofen may do wonders for her.
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love

with the PP.

A schedule will not help- it will just make things worse. And while your baby is crying herself to sleep, there's a big difference between CIO in the arms of a loving parents and CIO alone in a crib. What you're doing is parenting your baby to sleep, and that is challenging but it's what she needs!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I take it she cries in the evenings before bedtime, and that's when you're trying the various comfort measures? I noticed with my DD, when she had the evening fussies, if I was proactive more during the day about wearing her, it seemed to calm her more in the evening. DH and I would joke that she didn't meet her babywearing quota during the day if we got to the evening and she was fussy and noticed that I/we (but mostly I) didn't wear her enough during the day. She's 6 months old now, and has grown out of the evening fussies pretty much, so I'm not wearing her nearly as much as when she was younger, but I still wear her quite a bit, because she loves it so much.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Yeah I vote no leaving a 4month old to CIO. She is already struggling with something and is most likely in pain. I think being abandoned by her parents on top of that would be very very hard. Does she ever fall asleep on you? I agree that getting to sleep at an incline could definitely help is she is experiencing pain from reflux.

Way too lazy for formula

Unhappy Re: Crying baby

She fusses and cries before every nap and night time sleeping. She is perfectly happy all day she only cries when I'm trying to get her to sleep. I just don't know what to do to get her to sleep without crying. I never wanted to let ger CIO anyway. I have started reading the no cry sleep solution so hopefully that will help. I try wearing her a lot but she doesn't seem to like it much. I use the Moby wrap but also have a seven sling. Any tips on ways for her to enjoy being worn more? Mostly I do lotus hold because she seems to prefer it. But anytime I stop doing something or stop moving she fusses or if I do the same thing for too long. I assume this is quite normal.

Can you ask your doctor about prevacid? In my experience (both of mine had HORRID acid reflux), zantac was USELESS. And having experienced reflux during this pregnancy...it HURTS like a mother. I'm willing to bet that if you can get her reflux under better control, some of the crying would stop.

And crying in your arms is different than crying alone in a crib. She can FEEL your arms around her.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

She was on both previced and Zantac for a while but didn't seem to make any difference so we went back to the Zantac three times a day. She has her well check tomorrow so I'll ask her if we need to up her dose at all.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovemygirlso1 View Post
    She was on both previced and Zantac for a while but didn't seem to make any difference so we went back to the Zantac three times a day. She has her well check tomorrow so I'll ask her if we need to up her dose at all.
    Zantac is very weight dependent. Babies also metabolize prevacid 3x faster than adults do...so they need higher doses. My daughter started out at 5 mos taking 15mg 2x/day.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Wow, that sounds so hard.

Not all babies like being worn, unfortunately. My son spent the first three years of his life in the sling, my daughter wanted nothing to do with it. Too constraining; she wanted to be moving her arms and legs all the time.

How is she in the car? Or in a stroller?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--