Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new to pumping & baby is 8 mos old

Default new to pumping & baby is 8 mos old

hi! i've been breastfeeding my little girl for 8 1/2 months now and this morning decided to pump for the first time ever. so! lots of questions and worries.

she's been sick the last day or so and although she's nursing ok even while sick, i guess all the extra sucking has ramped up milk production plus she didn't nurse much last night (but made up for it early this afternoon). anyhow, i woke up super-engorged, she nursed for a few minutes through a very clogged-up nose and then pulled off, but i had milk. without thinking about it much, i pulled out the manual pump and got 3 oz total from both breasts. it was kinda shocking since i tried to pump once before, at 3 weeks post-partum, and i barely got two drops after 10 minutes with an electric pump.

i'm a sahm so i don't want to start pumping a whole lot, and i'm lucky that i don't need to, but i figure it would be nice to have some extra milk. the problem is, i'm feeling a little conflicted about the whole pumping thing.. i think i might cry the first time i see her nursing from a bottle and not from me. even though it's my breastmilk and all. i know it's been frustrating to her dad to not be able to feed her, and it's been frustrating to me as well at times. still, i'm not sure what kind of pumping i want to do, and what i want to do with the pumped milk. only for emergencies? once a day?

also, we're doing baby-led weaning, and she's eating a bit every day, but it's pretty small amounts still, probably no more than a tablespoon or so day. i'm not worried because she's growing great, lots of diapers every day, and is a total joy of a baby. she nurses about every three hours during the day and at night, usually 2-3 times. i really don't want to mess up our nursing or sabotage my supply. probably i should pump after nursing, right? in the morning?

thanks for any advice and help ~ i'm so proud and happy that we've made it this far which makes me think why start pumping now? still, something makes me think it's time. i love love nursing her but maybe a bottle a few times a week would be ok.
    ♥♥♥♥ baby girl born 4-14-2011 ♥♥♥♥
    ♥♥♥♥ baby girl born 11-14-2013 ♥♥♥♥

Default Re: new to pumping & baby is 8 mos old

I would suggest a cup not a bottle for an 8 month old.

At this point, your supply is well regulated, and when your baby returns to health and her normal patterns, this ability to pump a lot may vanish (it may not, but keep that in mind). You are going to find it annoying to pump, but if you pick a time of day and pump, eventually your supply will pick up at that time. You may find there is one time of day that us easier; morning is often good, but some moms find afternoon works at this age because baby has been busy playing and may have left you a bit full. Or pump one side and nurse the other. There really isn't a wrong way, unless you pump all the time without a goal in mind.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

thanks for the reply, susan. why a cup versus a bottle? she loves drinking cold water now and then from my (glass) cup but we have to hold it pretty steady or it'd slosh everywhere... so i guess a sippy cup? it seems a shame not to use the nice slow-flow nipples/bottles we got from our baby shower but it'd be easier for me to see her drink out of a cup, that's for sure.

good point about the "goal in mind". hmm, well i won't pump again today and maybe tomorrow in the early afternoon (she's always in super play mode at that point), i'll give it a try again. until then, i'll try to figure out what my goal is..
    ♥♥♥♥ baby girl born 4-14-2011 ♥♥♥♥
    ♥♥♥♥ baby girl born 11-14-2013 ♥♥♥♥

Because a baby that age doesn't need a bottle, and you might as well start making the jump to that now while she is young so you do t have to do bottle weaning

When I think of goal in mind, is it to pump enough milk to feed another kid? Or to get an ounce or two? How often ypare you going out and for how long? I say this because I randomly pumped with my first baby, developed a bad OS and stored probably 1000 oz or so, which I never used and ended up throwing away. Very stupid on my part, but nobody suggested I think about it
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

yes a sippy cup. At that age, the ones with the soft tip are easier for them than the hard ones. I'd get one with two handles for a 8 MO.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!