Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cosleeping question

Default cosleeping question

My son is 8 weeks today. He is still nursing every two hours, even at night. I work full time and need sleep to function so sometimes I take him to bed with me for a few hours. During this time I know he is nursing on schedule because he wakes me when he begins. After the first night I learned I needed a towel under us because he is spitting after a feed. Should I be more alert and burp him after these midnight snacks? Somehow I think it would be easier if I didn't take him to bed--at least then I'd be awake for the burp, but then I would miss the benefits of sleeping together. What should I do?

Default Re: cosleeping question

My son would never burp during the night, even if I tried. He'd spit up after feedings, though, and pass a lot of gas in the morning. I don't think it matters that he doesn't burp at night as long as he isn't uncomfortable and can't sleep. Enjoy the extra sleep!

At night my LO really never burps. She just falls back to sleep but if I try to burp her she wakes up for the night.. So I chose occasional spit up and let her sleep w/o burping her..

DS never burps at night - if I try it just wakes him up and he gets mad I don't think there is any "should" when it comes to burping, because it is purely a comfort issue. If your LO is comfortable and sleeping well I don't see any reason to wake him up!!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

At that age I put a burp cloth under my LO in the bed to catch the spit up (and the milk that leaked). After a few months I don't need it anymore. I never burp when she's asleep unless I want her to be up!
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

I don't burp my LO at night in bed. I put a baby blanket under us to catch the drool/spit up. Besides, she usually falls right back to sleep after nursing. I am not even sure if she "needs" to nurse, but it puts her to sleep quicker, and I like my sleep.

Default Re: cosleeping question *burp*

I usually skip the burping but you can do it and not wake up your baby when cosleeping.

I have him in the crook of my arm for feeding and "roll" him to my chest (face to face) and burp him that way. Blissed out on milk, he hardly notices that he's been moved. I can pat him and usually get a burp out. BTW, I am only a C-cup so it may not be as easy with someone with larger breasts.