Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby feeds irregularly!

Default baby feeds irregularly!

Is this normal?
    We are supposed to feed bb on demand so I feed her as and when she wants.
    But its so irregular! She's 5 wks old and I read that they shld be sleeping 3-4hrs between feeds. But my lil girl has no schedule. fr 1/2 hr to 1 hr to 4hrs.....
    what shld I do?

Default Re: baby feeds irregularly!

id say go with the flow! every baby is different and shes eating what she needs, altho some of that is probably comfort sucking.

my son is 5 months now and he very rarely goes 3-4 hours between feeds, its a push to get him to wait 2 hours.
    after a feed if u want her to sleep you could take her for a walk or drive to get her to sleep and gets u out of the house

3-4 hours between feeds: and NO WAY! I don't know who made that up, but whoever it was didn't know diddly-squat about babies, particularly breastfed babies. It's entirely normal for a breastfed baby's feeding frequency to be highly variable, with baby often nursing again within 90 minutes of her last feeding. This is especially true at just 5 weeks!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Totally normal baby pattern and she is about to hit a growth spurt and need to nurse all.the.time. Easiest, fastest way to cope....let her. If you roll with baby's needs, it is much, much easier in the long run.

And I always want to fling myself to the floor when I read or someone tells me a baby sleeps 4 hours and roll around laughing hysterically. I don't know any babies who sleep that long. None of mine do or did. None of my friends, and most of them formula feed. I would like to see this baby.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

:tia Normal.

Breastmilk digests so quickly because it is the perfect food for baby. Every two hours is what's average (ESPECIALLY during the first 6 weeks), which means that some babies nurse more frequently and some go a little longer. The first six weeks are very important in establishing your supply so it's very important to follow your baby's cues and nurse on demand. Don't watch the clock mama, watch your baby. Frequent nursing doesn't mean that there is anything wrong. Actually it's the opposite. It's the way nature intended it to be. If forces mama and baby to spend a lot of time together in the first few months, because don't forget - baby spent 9 months listening to your heartbeat for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so it's normal and expected for baby to want to be close to mama frequently after they are born. YOU are what she knows
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Keep doing what you're doing! I remember hearing that 3-4 hr stat too, but I interpreted it as "you shouldn't let baby sleep more than 3-4 hr stretch without nursing" -- if it ever got close to 4 hours, I would wake LO up to nurse. But, as PPs mentioned, it was more like 1, 1.5, 2 hrs. My LO spent a lot of time nursing each session... so figuring out how to nurse in different positions and in carriers was really helpful for me in the first few months.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

but how did you ladies manage to cope?
    I hardly sleep and its doing my head in. and when she sleeps...I am so stressed out that she is going to wake up soon that I can't sleep.
    I feel so overwhelmed.

HOw do you handle feeding, changing diapers, spit ups, changing clothes, cooking, cleaning....with hardly any sleep, without going nuts?

My son napped longer if we napped together. Do you co-sleep? I would definitely try to sleep when baby sleeps. Have you figured out a comfortable way to nurse laying down?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Wait, you aren't allowed to go nuts? Not even a little?

Seriously, this is the hardest hard work you are doing, and you are in just about the most difficult stretch right now. Here's what I did that saved me from going totally round the bend:
    - Forget the housework. The house will keep, but the baby won't. No one ever died from a dirty floor, unwashed dishes, or eating too much take-out.
    - If you have a spouse/partner, that person needs to pick up a lot of slack right now. They can do housework, make food, change diapers, do laundry. If you don't have a spouse/partner, hopefully you can hire someone to pick up the things you need to drop.
    - Co-sleep. I know the vision we all have when we decide to have kids is of a baby sleeping peacefully in a crib, probably in her own room, but in real life that just doesn't work without mom hauling her butt down the hall several times a night. Probably more than several. If you co-sleep and can nurse baby while lying down, you can probably eventually sort of nurse and nap simultaneously, or latch baby on without fully waking up. Checklist for safe co-sleeping: http://babyparenting.about.com/od/sl.../a/cosleep.htm
    - Wear baby in a sling. When baby is held close to mom, she's going to be less fussy and you'll be able to carry her around and still have hands free for other tasks. You may even be able to nurse in a sling- tricky for a FTM with a young baby,but if you can do it you'll be freed up a lot!
    - Baths are optional for a young baby. Just wipe off the spit-ups and once a day clean baby's neck folds, face, and rear end using a washcloth. Until a baby starts crawling around on the floor, she really doesn't get that dirty.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"