Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby only naps with nipple in her mouth

Default Baby only naps with nipple in her mouth

My LO is 9.5 weeks old and sleeps pretty well at night, but she is a terrible napper. She only naps when in the stroller outside (but with the weather getting worse by the day this is becoming increasingly difficult) or on me.

When I say "on me" I don't just mean that I have to hold her, she wants to have the nipple in her mouth the whole time, comfort sucking here and there, drifting off, having a quick snack, drifting off again. If I try to remove the nipple, she starts fussing and looking for it, sometimes crying. If I put her down into the crib/swing/bassinet, she might stay asleep for 10-15 minutes if I'm lucky, but never longer.

She won't take a pacifier and I'm very frustrated.

Any advice overall or on how to get her to take a pacifier?
    Last edited by @llli*luckypixie; December 15th, 2011 at 02:01 PM.

Default Re: Baby only naps with nipple in her mo

DS2 would take a pacifier if I held him in nursing position so that my boob was holding it in place. Once he fell asleep I could move him a bit away from me, but he still wouldn't always nap well.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

My son had the same issues at that age. What helped him was to swaddle him tightly so that he felt more secure when I laid him in his bassinet and also so he didn't startle himself awake.

Mine also wouldn't take a pacifier until about 4 months no matter what I tried or how many different pacifiers I tried to get him to take. Then all of a sudden he would take it. Then he started getting teeth about 5.5 months and would never take it again. I sooooo wish he would have taken one! All I can suggest there is to keep trying it with her and maybe she will take it. I think some babies just aren't into it. My older one was all about it and I had to eventually cut the end off of them when he was 3.5 to get him to stop taking them!!

Good luck

I think that some babies are just not good nappers. My DS has never taken naps longer than 15 minutes, unless my nipple is in his mouth.

Is your DD cranky if she doesn't get a nap in? Or is she content without much sleep?
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

scienceteachermommy, I will try this! Thank you for the tip!

cherron, 4 months? Oh boy, that's a long time to have to sit on the couch for all her naps. But I'll keep trying with all these pacifiers I got (I think I have 4 different kinds).

mek, the problem is that if she doesn't nap, she becomes super-cranky, fussy and even hysterical by nighttime and all the harder to put to bed, so she needs her naps. I just need to figure out a way how to make her nap without her being attached to me.

Get a copy of the No-Cry Sleep Solution and look up how to do the Pantley Pull-Off.

That said, and I have a bottlefed baby, I still sit on the couch holding a sleeping baby, and he's 10 months old!

Try laying down with her, do the PPP, and then slowly roll away.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

DD is almost 2. Her naps are in my lap while i sit on a giant ball. She nurses for awhile and if i didn't pull her off and snuggle she would stay latched indefinitely. The ball helps. I need a mental break so holding her for an hour or two is nothing compared to her waking and screaming every 20 min. Night terrors run in our family, fyi.
    being a SAHM to DD born 12/09

I just got my daughter to nap without my nipple in her mouth and she's almost 2.5 yrs old. That being said, I'm sure I could have gotten her off if I had been willing to risk a few shorter naps. I wouldn't necessarily encourage a pacifier (I personally don't like them but it's more when people over-use them and they start inhibiting language development, even when babies babble less because they have a pacifier in their mouth constantly. I have big problems with little toddlers talking with a pacifier in their mouths which I know is different than a baby napping with one). Anyway, I have heard good things about the No Cry Sleep Solution, I owned it but never read it (oops, but we did OK). But you might get her to sleep on you and then de latch her but keep her close. I know I sleep better with my daughter just next to me instead of latched on.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My LO likes to nap like that too (still at 8mos) -- but I've gotten sneaky about pulling the nipple out and covering it with my shirt (but keeping him close to the breast). This seems to work for him -- and I'm able to be up and moving by wearing him in a carrier (which he will nurse in before napping a lot ).

As I type, he just fell asleep on his own in a back carry. He will sleep for a lot longer like this than if I were to lay him down... hehe.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Update: DD is 12 weeks tomorrow and I've been trying Pantley's pull-off method, but it's not working at all

Even if she lets go of the nipple without a struggle (not always), she immediately starts looking for it and begins to cry (no matter whether I try to shush her, rock her, or gently hold her mouth closed). It could go on for 30-40 minutes and eventually I give up and let her nap.

I feel like I can't leave her with her dad because he won't be able to get her to nap and she'll be crying the entire time. I also worry that by now she's become so entrenched in the nipple-in-mouth nap association, that I won't be able to break it. I have to be back at work in 2 months!!!! Ugh...