Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you know when it's time 4 solids

Default How do you know when it's time 4 solids

I plan to EBF till my DD is 1 year old, no solids. My Dr. said that was fine, but that most babies don't make it that long, that they stop being satisfied by just momma's milk between 9-12 months. It has always been my understanding that solids are "just for fun" till the baby is a year old anyway, so I don't understand how a baby could stop being satisfied with breast milk till they are a year old. My question is, how do u know? I want to nurse her exclusively for a year, but I certainly don't want her to become unsatisfied and be hungry. Is it "normal" to exclusively breastfeed for one year, it seems like it would be.

Thank you!

Default Re: How do you know when it's time 4 sol

from what i've read, when they can sit up on their own, lost their tongue reflex AND they are showing interest and able to feed themselves. at least that''s the case for baby led solids. we gave our 6 month old dd a piece of banana two days ago to see what she would do. i'm not really ready for her to start EATING solids, but curiosity got the best of us and decided to give her some food to see what would happen she instantly brought it to her mouth, as is the case with everything she gets her hands on it, gummed it, but lost interest relatively quickly. part of the experience of transitioning to solids isn't just about ingesting food and experiencing new textures that way, but manipulating it with their hands, and eventually utensils. it provides them with sensory input that's important for their development. even though my dd didn't really do much with her first banana, the sensory experience of feeling a 'toy' that was squishy and slimy still had value for her, imo. i about nearly cried though when she tasted it for the first time, and based on how she really wasn't all that interested, i'm not gonna introduce anymore solids for a little while longer. i'm kind of intrigued though to hear of others that didn't introduce solids until much later in the year.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

I think most babies will show readiness for solids around 6 months. There are other benefits to exploration of foods besides nutrition including learning about textures and just the enjoyment of eating. I guess the bottom line for me is I would not refuse my child food if they wanted it solely for the purpose of exclusively breastfeeding for 12 months. Many babies genuinely want and expect to be included in meal times well before one year. My son did this by 8-9 months, although we introduced solids very slowly....and at 11 months, he crawls over to his high chair when he wants to be fed. He also asks for "mu" (milk) when he wants to nurse. I think you'll be surprised at how their little minds develop and how opinionated they become between 6 and 12 months!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html And for future reference, kellymom.com is a great go to website. Also check out wholesomebabyfood.com There is also a thread call Introducing Solids in the Nutrition section of the forum.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Ah, I see. Thanks for the input, I guess, I will watch and go with her lead, that is what I am gathering here. I have heard of people, and actually have a friend who introduced solids and her baby flat refused nursing at 10 months, she said she did everything she was told to get him back to the breast and it just didn't happen, I want to avoid that too if possible. Anyways, I thank you for the link and for everyone's advice!

If you and your baby both enjoy nursing, I think there is little reason to fear that your baby will wean before a year just because you've introduced solids. I mean, some babies do go on hard-core nursing strikes that result in early weaning- I personally know of 2 who have done that. But it's still really rare! So I think the small risk of a strike is not really worth sacrificing the benefit of letting baby eat solids prior to a year of age. Babies really get a lot out of solids, even if they don't need them. The educational experience alone- tasting new tastes, using new motor skills, experimenting with new textures- those are really valuable developmental experiences.

Have you considered trying baby-led solids? It's very compatible with breastfeeding, and completely avoids the need for and challenges of spoon-feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Phoebe.s.mom View Post
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the input, I guess, I will watch and go with her lead, that is what I am gathering here. I have heard of people, and actually have a friend who introduced solids and her baby flat refused nursing at 10 months, she said she did everything she was told to get him back to the breast and it just didn't happen, I want to avoid that too if possible. Anyways, I thank you for the link and for everyone's advice!
    I understand your concern. I have known some mamas of babies that loved solids and did decrease their nursing. In the cases I am talking about there was nothing the mamas could have done about this. Some babies are just boobie babies and others really aren't. I did introduce solids very slowly. At 6 months we let him explore solids at 1 meal a day. He consumed very little. By 8 months he was eating 2 meals a day, and at 10 months he wanted to sit with the family 3 times a day. Now he still gets at least 70% of his nutrition from breast milk, in part because he has allergies. I think most of the time it's fine as long as you introduce solids slowly. A baby can go on a nursing strike for teething pain (in fact it's more likely than because of solids).
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

If you continue to offer breastmilk before offering solids, that seems to lower the chances that baby will REPLACE nursing with solids. Some babies will eat more solids than others - but those are going to be the enthusiastic eaters where you'd feel terrible depriving them, too! But based on what I read here, it's just as common or more common for babies to not really get interested in solids for anything other than playtime until 10-11 months. Joe still barely ate solids around a year, but we had fun putting things in front of him, and he had fun playing with them, so I would never NOT offer solids just because they're not necessary. I didn't offer three meals a day, though, because Joe just wasn't that into them. So I agree with PPs here - follow your child's lead. You really can't go wrong with that approach. And definitely investigate baby-led solids (AKA baby-led weaning, which refers to the very gradual weaning process from milk to solids, not any kind of immediate "weaning").

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.