Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing strike or weaning @ 4 months...

Unhappy Nursing strike or weaning @ 4 months...

Liam turned 4 months on sunday and breastfed great until Saturday. He breastfed through the thrush, through the severe excema even though he was uncomfortable. All of a sudden Saturday night he refuesed to feed, screams bloody murder and scratches me and pulls away, all day Sunday and Monday and now most of today. I got him to latch once yesterday morning as he was barely awake and swaddled but he didn't really suck, he more or less just played with it. My supply is starting to be affected, i try and pump with my Freestyle but im only getting half an ounce out after 20 minutes in level 7, i know the pump can't get out what he can but he won't latch. I tried motion nursing and got him on for maybe 2 minutes but he stopped and got upset and hasn't gone back on since. I don't want to deprive him of food but he won't nurse, what do I do? The freestyle just isn't cutting it and he won't latch on. Im having a hard time with this, i love breastfeeding him and he just won't....any advice?

Default Re: Nursing strike or weaning @ 4 months

I'm thinking nursing strike, not weaning. Try dream nursing him. Get him to fall asleep beside you in bed and when he's out, get him to latch on.

Has your period returned yet? Maybe it's coming and your ovulation has affected your supply? Try drinking some mother's milk tea to help you over the hump if that's what it is.

Patience Momma - you'll both get there.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    I'm thinking nursing strike, not weaning. Try dream nursing him. Get him to fall asleep beside you in bed and when he's out, get him to latch on.

Has your period returned yet? Maybe it's coming and your ovulation has affected your supply? Try drinking some mother's milk tea to help you over the hump if that's what it is.

Patience Momma - you'll both get there.
    My period did come back about 6 weeks after I had him, I just got the IUD Nov.20th. I have been taking More Milk Plus today and pumping even though not much is coming out. I will try dream nursing him. How long before my supply can't come back, it's been 3 days and im seeing a big decrease even with the Freestyle....1/2 for both boobs is pretty bad....i don't know how i will get him to nurse with only half an ounce in there....

Please rule out ear/throat infection. My 4 month old is on Amoxilin. A sore throat had her strike and it almost drove me crazy. I found help here. I pumped every 3-4 hours for a few minutes to keep milk coming through stimulation, drank mothers milk tea and nursed her a lot when she was asleep or half asleep - relaxed, baby sucks more easily. If your baby is pulling her ears, it could be ear infection. If the throat has inflammation she might even suck a little but spit it out crying because it is painful to swallow. Keep it, strikes just last a few days. It is extra work but everything will be back to normal. Good luck.
    Luciana, mom to Bianca, born 08/15/2011 - BF until 2 and a half yrs old

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lulamb View Post
    Please rule out ear/throat infection. My 4 month old is on Amoxilin. A sore throat had her strike and it almost drove me crazy. I found help here. I pumped every 3-4 hours for a few minutes to keep milk coming through stimulation, drank mothers milk tea and nursed her a lot when she was asleep or half asleep - relaxed, baby sucks more easily. If your baby is pulling her ears, it could be ear infection. If the throat has inflammation she might even suck a little but spit it out crying because it is painful to swallow. Keep it, strikes just last a few days. It is extra work but everything will be back to normal. Good luck.
    She is not weaning yet..
    Luciana, mom to Bianca, born 08/15/2011 - BF until 2 and a half yrs old

A sudden stop in nursing is almost always a strike, and for a baby that young, it almost certainly is. It would probably be a worthwhile doctor's trip to check for something physically wrong. In the mean time, it is important to feed that baby. Make sure you are seeing 5-6 wet diapers a day. For a striking baby, using a feeding method that does not involve sucking can help with their return to the breast (eyedropper, cup, syringe, etc.) You might try hand expressing. It takes some learning, but can be a great tool in a situation like this. http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html You might try some other positions, even leaning over your baby on a flat surface.

BTW, it is completely understandable for a stike to be rough on momma. You can get through this! Milk supplies are very resilient once a baby starts nursing again. Usually just takes a couple of days to get supply bakc up.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

What type of IUD did you get? The kind with hormones (I'm no expert, but I think Mirena is one?) can impact supply in some women. I'd want to rule that out.

ETA: I also second the advice to check for an ear infection or throat issue. The only time Joe ever "striked" on me, he had an ear infection. I regretted not investigating sooner.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Can you rent a hospital grade pump locally, until you get it worked out? I would call everyone you can think of in your area to see (i dont know where you are, obviously). Medela's symphony is a totally different beast from the bitty freestyle. Then you dont have to worry about your supply at the same time!
    Good luck & hang in there!
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!