Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No breastfeeding causes bullying?

Question No breastfeeding causes bullying?

I saw an anti-bullying message on a pro-breastfeeding T-shirt today that said:

It's a cute shirt, but on a serious note, this really got me thinking. Can the tendency to be a bully really start as early as breastfeeding or not breastfeeding? That just doesn't make sense to me.

I nursed my son, but not my daughter. She is a bit bossy, but I'll be mortified if the cause of her bossiness could be related to breastfeeding. Does anyone know of any research or thinking in this area?

Default Re: No breastfeeding causes bullying?

Sounds ludicrous

Sounds like someone's idea of a joke.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Sounds like someone's idea of a joke.
    My breastfed baby thinks that "sharing" means bopping the other child over the head, grabbing the toy, and making a run for it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

This is the kind of stuff that made me paranoid when I was supplementing with formula, and evem now to some degree because my son gets his bm in a bottle. Remember that your LO isnt 'some children'. Sooooo many other factors play into things like bullying and obesity. And at the end of the day you can only give them a strong foundation and hope they make good choices. Im sure you are doing everything you can to set them up for success

I don't personally think there's anything scientific about that! I know kids who were BF who do bully and are aggressive and I know kids who were FF who aren't and vice versa. I think behavioral issues and characteristics are a combination of several factors such as discipline methods, home environment, etc.

I think it has more to do with how you are raised, what values are instilled at a young age, and what type or lack of discipline in the home
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Wha???? I just find that shirt odd.

My first thought was actually that it seems like a commentary on lactivism taken to the extreme -- like saying breastfeeding is the answer to every problem that exists in our society. If that makes sense...
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

And personality, personality, personality. Obviously, bullying should not be tolerated and parents MUST address it. However, some kids are innately more physical than others. My speech delayed little boy is big, strong, and doesn't know how to express himself very well. Result: He grabs and pushes when he should be using his words. Which is to say, some children will need more work than others to learn to manage conflict without physical fighting. I was small, wimpy, and extremely verbal as a child, and it would never have been an issue with me.

If I've learned one thing from parenting this far, it's that I have FAR less influence over my child's basic temperament than I ever imagined I would. This isn't to discount parental involvement, but "aggression" is not all learned, either.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

That seems far fetched. I was FF and I am so passive its ridiculous Then again my sisters were FF also and they can be incredibly aggressive It depends on the kid- and the circumstance- the enviorment.. n
    July 27 2011