Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to BF again after 3 wks of formula

Question Want to BF again after 3 wks of formula

I have not breast fed in several weeks and I want to know if there is a way I can start again. I breast fed and pumped for three weeks, then started him on formula. It has been difficult as I am not comfortable feeding in front of anyone. I want my baby to have the nutrition of breast milk. I would like to be able to just pump. Is it possible to get the "let down" of milk back? I am able to get a few drops still, but that is it. Also, if I am able to get the "let down" back, can I just pump? Or do I have to feed from the breast as well to keep my milk flow? My little man will still latch on. I have been trying to put him on the breast again trying to get my milk back and he will latch on and basically treat it like a pacifier.

I will be returning to work soon as well and will not be able to pump while at work. Would it be possible to pump before and after work and continue to get the "let down" of milk?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Want to BF again after 3 wks of form

How old is your baby? It is possible, but you may have to adjust your expectations and what you are willing to do.

He is 6 weeks. I dont mind adjusting. I just know that I wont be able to pump at work as there is no where for me to do this other than the bathroom and I dont feel that is very sanitary. I would like to keep pumping tho so he keeps getting the nutrition. I also dont mind putting him on the breast as long as we are at home, which is usually the case. And once I return to work. I would be able to have him on the breast before work in the morning and in the evenings after work. I just dont know what I need to do to get the milk flowing again??

How long is your workday? How long away from baby? You may just have to make the bathroom as clean as you can and pump there. I pumped in a bathroom for months. In the beginning, you will especially have to pump to up your supply.

I wanted to add that the fact that he will still latch is very much on your favor.

Do you drive to work? I used to park my car in a secluded place and pump there, with a nursing cover over the pump.

At this point, you may be able to get him back to the breast, but you will have to work hard for it. Having limitations like "I can't pump at work" will NOT help you reestablish your milk supply. It would be best to pump day and night for a while.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

What do I do to get more milk? Right now when I pump I get nothing. I am able to get a few drops when I express by hand, but i get nothing when I pump. I am at a loss for what things I need to do to try to get my milk back. Thanks.

Read around these threads a bit, but basically, you should be pumping or nursing (or both) every two to three hours for about 20 minutes per time. At first you won't see much, but you have to pump "dry" to send the signal to your brain to make milk again. So even if you don't see much at first, it doesn't mean it's not working.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Also, you need to use a good pump. A lot of moms try to get by with cheap pumps- manual pumps or single electric pumps or lightweight double electric pumps. Those will not cut it when you're trying to relactate. You want a hospital-grade rental pump (preferable) or a Medela Pump in Style (at least). Whichever pump you use, make sure the breast shields are the correct size to ensure maximum stimulation and milk removal.

I can understand your reluctance to pump at work given that you might have to pump in a bathroom. But you might not have to- depending on where you live and work, you may be legally entitled to a clean, non-bathroom pumping space. But even if you're not and the bathroom is your only option, I would still choose pumping there over not pumping at all. If you don't want to give your baby that milk you don't have to, and pumping during the workday will help you maintain supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks so much for all of your help. I will be trying!